Published on :
In Burkina Faso, the trial of the alleged assassins of President Thomas Sankara and his twelve assassinated collaborators went to the bottom. An accused, who is one of the key figures in the events of October 15, 1987, admitted the facts but in court, he said he did not remember all his actions on the day of the coup.
With our correspondent in Ouagadougou, Yaya Boudani
Accused of having killed with premeditation in consultation with Hyacinthe Kafando, and of complicity in an attack on state security, the first class soldier Élysée Ilboudo was at the time of the facts a driver in Blaise’s close guard. Compaore.
« I recognize the facts », Answers the accused at the bar following the presentation of the charges against him. He explains that on October 15, the commando left from Blaise Compaoré’s home in two vehicles on the instruction of Chief Warrant Officer Hyacinthe Kafando. “ At the Council of the Entente, we made a stopover at Blaise Compaoré’s pied-à-terre. Hyacinthe and the others went up to an apartment and came down », Continues the soldier.
In his account, Élysée Ilboudo specifies that Hyacinthe Kafando seized the direction of his vehicle and directed it against the entrance to the building where President Sankara was meeting. ” When the vehicle smashed through the door, Hyacinthe and his men got out and opened fire in disorder killing one of President Sankara’s guards pursuing Blaise Compaoré’s ex-driver. “Then the accused continues:” President Thomas Sankara came out and asked what was going on. In response, Hyacinthe Kafando and his men shot him ».
« What types of weapons and ammunition did you use? »Asks the military prosecutor. “ I really do not know. We had kalashnikovs and automatic pistols », Retorts the accused who was 28 years old at the time of the facts.
According to the prosecution, the results of analysis after the exhumations showed that it was the incendiary, explosive and ordinary munitions that were used during the coup.
■ Former French Minister Jack Lang ready to testify
A list of sixty witnesses had been determined by the court on Monday. Among the names appearing there, three French personalities including Jean-Christophe Mitterrand, son of the former president and then his adviser for African affairs, Roland Dumas, former Minister of Foreign Affairs, and Jack Lang, former Minister of Culture. Contacted by RFI, the interested parties or their lawyer affirmed that they had not been informed of their summons. However, Jack Lang said he was prepared to answer questions from the court.
I am ready to give a human and personal testimony […] François Mitterrand was not pro-imperialist […] I can’t even imagine it for a second [que la France et François Mitterrand ait pu jouer un rôle, NDLR]. Very often, I have spoken to François Mitterrand about Thomas Sankara. He had a lot of sympathy and friendship for him.