Global coverage at a glance: breaking international headlines, geopolitical insights, regional developments, and on‑the‑ground reports from every continent.
Rosario, Argentina – A yacaré, a type of caiman, measuring between 1.5 and 2 meters in length, caused a stir at the popular La Florida beach on the Paraná River this Tuesday, February 17, 2026. The unexpected appearance of the reptile prompted lifeguards to order swimmers out of the water as a precautionary measure, according to reports.
The incident occurred around 5:00 PM local time on a hot and humid day, with the beach reportedly crowded with families and young people enjoying the afternoon. The yacaré was initially spotted with only its head visible, leading to initial reports of its size being “a little over a meter and a half long,” but later estimates placed it closer to two meters. The presence of the animal created a momentary panic, but authorities reported a calm evacuation of the swimming area.
Geneva – Iran temporarily closed the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway for global oil transport, on Tuesday as negotiations resumed with the United States regarding its nuclear program. The move, framed by Iranian officials as a security precaution during live-fire military drills, coincides with heightened tensions and a significant U.S. Military presence in the Middle East. Approximately 20% of the world’s oil passes through the Strait of Hormuz, making it a strategically vital chokepoint.
The closure, a first for Iran, occurred as diplomats from both nations engaged in indirect talks in Geneva, mediated by Oman. While details of the discussions remain limited, both sides expressed cautious optimism about progress made toward establishing “guiding principles” for a potential agreement. The timing of the Strait’s closure, however, is widely interpreted as a demonstration of Iran’s military capabilities and a signal of its resolve in the negotiations.
Escalating Tensions and Military Posturing
The temporary closure of the Strait of Hormuz adds to a period of escalating tensions between the U.S. And Iran. The U.S. Has deployed two aircraft carriers, the USS Gerald R. Ford and the USS Abraham Lincoln, to the region, citing concerns over Iran’s nuclear ambitions and regional destabilization. Iran maintains its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, but has enriched uranium beyond levels needed for power generation. It seeks the lifting of crippling economic sanctions in exchange for any concessions regarding its nuclear activities.
According to Sina Azodi, director of the Middle East Studies program at George Washington University, the timing of the closure is no coincidence. “Clearly on the day that they’re negotiating with the Americans I don’t consider it’s a coincidence,” Azodi said. “Iranians for decades have been trying to portray themselves as the ones who call the shots in the Persian Gulf. They shut it down just to make the point that they are the ones who are calling the shots there.”
Optimism Tempered by Red Lines
Despite the provocative nature of the Strait’s closure, officials from both countries offered cautiously optimistic assessments following the talks. U.S. Vice President JD Vance told Fox News that the discussions “went well in some ways,” and that both sides agreed to meet again. However, he also acknowledged that “particularly clear red lines” remained, which Iran was not yet willing to address.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi stated that the two sides had reached an understanding on “guiding principles,” adding, “Different ideas have been presented. These ideas have been seriously discussed. Ultimately we’ve been able to reach a general agreement on some guiding principles.” A U.S. Official indicated that Iran would present detailed proposals within the next two weeks to bridge the remaining gaps.
A History of Threats and Deterrence
Tehran has previously threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz if attacked, a move that would significantly disrupt global oil supplies and likely drive up crude prices. In 2025, approximately 13 million barrels of crude oil per day transited the Strait, representing roughly 31% of global seaborne crude flows, according to market intelligence firm Kpler. This latest closure marks the first publicly announced shutdown of the waterway.
The situation is further complicated by internal pressures within Iran. Reports indicate that protesters are appealing to U.S. President Donald Trump for military intervention to help overthrow the Islamic regime. However, the potential for escalation remains high, with Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warning that the U.S. Could face a “slap” from which it cannot recover, stating, “Of course a warship is a dangerous apparatus, but more dangerous than the warship is the weapon that can sink the warship,” according to Iranian state television.
President Trump, on the eve of the talks, expressed confidence that Iran desired a deal, stating, “I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal.”
What to Watch Next
The coming weeks will be critical as Iran prepares to present detailed proposals aimed at resolving the impasse over its nuclear program. The success of these negotiations will depend on both sides’ willingness to compromise and address each other’s concerns. The situation remains fluid and carries significant risks, with the potential for miscalculation or escalation. Continued monitoring of both diplomatic efforts and military deployments in the region will be essential.
What are your thoughts on the current situation? Share your comments below and let us know what you think will happen next.
Kyiv announced Tuesday the return of 2,000 Ukrainian children brought to Russia and Russian-occupied territories since the full-scale invasion began in February 2022, whereas acknowledging that thousands more remain in Russian custody. The announcement comes as international pressure mounts over the alleged forced transfer of Ukrainian children, a practice the International Criminal Court (ICC) has deemed a war crime.
Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy stated the returned children had been brought “from under Russia’s control,” in a social media post. He also emphasized the continued plight of those still held, stating that “thousands of Ukrainian children are still held captive by Russia, becoming victims of its crimes every day.”
The ICC issued arrest warrants in March 2023 for Russian President Vladimir Putin and Maria Lvova-Belova, Russia’s commissioner for children’s rights, accusing them of the war crime of unlawful deportation and transfer of children from occupied areas of Ukraine to the Russian Federation. The warrants allege that these actions constitute a direct violation of the Rome Statute.
Ukraine asserts that Russia is systematically attempting to erase Ukrainian identity among the children, including through indoctrination and the imposition of Russian citizenship. These claims are supported by accounts from Ukrainians who have managed to leave Russian-occupied territories, detailing efforts to alter the children’s cultural and linguistic ties to Ukraine.
Moscow acknowledges taking Ukrainian children under its control, maintaining that the transfers were conducted for the children’s safety, removing them from areas of active conflict. Russian officials have stated a willingness to facilitate the return of children when relatives can be identified and verified.
Efforts to secure the return of the children have involved various international intermediaries, including Gulf states and, more recently, Melania Trump, the wife of former U.S. President Donald Trump. These efforts have resulted in the repatriation of children in small groups throughout the course of the war.
In June 2025, President Zelenskyy and Alain Berset, Secretary General of the Council of Europe, signed an agreement establishing a special tribunal to prosecute senior Russian officials for the crime of aggression against Ukraine. This tribunal, the first of its kind established by the Council of Europe, aims to broaden the scope of accountability for actions related to the conflict, complementing the work of the ICC, which focuses on crimes against humanity. The agreement was signed in Strasbourg, France.
The establishment of the tribunal is intended to address the crime of aggression – specifically, the use of armed force by one state against another – an offense not currently within the ICC’s jurisdiction. Zelenskyy has described the tribunal as crucial for holding Russian leadership accountable for the invasion, which began in February 2022 and has continued for over three years.
While the location of the tribunal has not been finalized, The Hague has been suggested due to its existing legal infrastructure. Russia does not extradite its citizens, raising questions about the practical challenges of bringing Russian officials to trial.
Stockholm – The 2025 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine has been awarded to scientists whose decades-long research unveiled the critical role of regulatory T cells in controlling the immune system, a discovery with profound implications for treating autoimmune diseases, transplant rejection, and cancer. The award, announced on December 23, 2025, recognizes a fundamental shift in our understanding of immune tolerance and the body’s ability to distinguish between self and non-self.
For years, immunology focused on the activation of the immune system – how it attacks pathogens and cancerous cells. Although, the Nobel-winning research, spearheaded by Shimon Sakaguchi, highlighted the equally important process of immune suppression. Sakaguchi, as noted by Scientific American, “hunted for an immune cell others dismissed,” ultimately identifying a subset of T cells that actively suppress the immune response, preventing autoimmunity.
Regulatory T cells, often referred to as “Tregs,” function as the “brakes” of the immune system. Without them, the immune system can attack the body’s own tissues, leading to autoimmune diseases like type 1 diabetes, rheumatoid arthritis, and multiple sclerosis. The discovery, initially met with skepticism, has been rigorously validated by numerous research groups worldwide. According to a Nature report, the function revealed secrets of immune system ‘regulation’.
The Journey to Discovery
Sakaguchi’s research, beginning in the 1980s, focused on a unique subset of T cells that appeared to suppress the activity of other immune cells. He demonstrated that these cells, now known as Tregs, express a protein called Foxp3, which is crucial for their development and function. Mice lacking Foxp3 develop severe autoimmune diseases, providing strong evidence for the role of Tregs in maintaining immune tolerance. The AJMC highlighted how the 2025 Nobel Prize in Medicine honors discoveries behind these regulatory T cells.
Implications for Treatment
The understanding of Tregs has opened up new avenues for treating a wide range of diseases. Researchers are exploring ways to enhance Treg function in autoimmune diseases to restore immune tolerance. Conversely, strategies to suppress Tregs are being investigated as a way to boost the immune response against cancer. The World Economic Forum noted the discovery’s impact on health stories beyond just immunology.
The Nobel Recognition
The Nobel Assembly at Karolinska Institutet awarded the 2025 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for this groundbreaking work. The official NobelPrize.org press release emphasized the fundamental importance of the discovery for our understanding of the immune system and its role in health and disease.
Looking ahead, research continues to refine our understanding of Treg biology and to develop more targeted therapies based on this knowledge. The ability to harness the power of Tregs holds immense promise for treating a wide range of conditions and improving human health. Further investigation into the complexities of immune regulation will undoubtedly yield even more therapeutic opportunities in the years to reach.
What are your thoughts on this groundbreaking discovery? Share your comments below and support spread awareness of this important scientific advancement.