Global coverage at a glance: breaking international headlines, geopolitical insights, regional developments, and on‑the‑ground reports from every continent.
British police arrested Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor on Thursday on suspicion of misconduct in public office, escalating a long-running investigation into his connections with the convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein. The arrest, which occurred at Mountbatten-Windsor’s residence at Wood Farm on the Sandringham estate in Norfolk, took place on his 66th birthday.
Thames Valley Police confirmed the arrest of a man in his 60s, stating officers were also conducting searches at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk. Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright said the force had opened an investigation following a “thorough assessment” and was committed to protecting the “integrity and objectivity” of the inquiry. “We understand the significant public interest in this case and we will provide updates at the appropriate time,” Wright stated.
The arrest follows the release of documents by the U.S. Justice Department relating to Epstein, which prompted a review by Thames Valley Police of allegations that Mountbatten-Windsor shared confidential government information with Epstein. These allegations include claims that a woman was trafficked to the UK by Epstein for a sexual encounter with Mountbatten-Windsor, and that the former prince disclosed sensitive details while serving as the UK’s trade envoy.
King Charles issued a statement expressing “deepest concern” over the arrest and affirming his full support for the police investigation. “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities,” the King said. “In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and cooperation.” The Prince and Princess of Wales were reported to endorse the King’s message.
The family of Virginia Roberts Giuffre, who has accused Mountbatten-Windsor of sexual abuse as part of Epstein’s sex trafficking ring – allegations he denies – released a statement welcoming the arrest. “At last. Today, our broken hearts have been lifted at the news that no one is above the law, not even royalty,” said Sky Roberts, Amanda Roberts, Danny Wilson, and Lanette Wilson. “On behalf of our sister, Virginia Roberts Giuffre, we extend our gratitude to the UK’s Thames Valley police for their investigation and arrest of Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor.”
Mountbatten-Windsor was stripped of his royal titles last October amid growing scrutiny over his association with Epstein. He has consistently denied any wrongdoing. The Crown Prosecution Service stated it was in close contact with the Metropolitan Police Service and Thames Valley Police and ready to support the investigations if needed.
Prime Minister Keir Starmer stated earlier on Thursday that “nobody is above the law” when questioned about the possibility of Mountbatten-Windsor’s arrest. Former Prime Minister Gordon Brown revealed he had submitted a five-page memorandum to multiple UK police constabularies containing new information related to the case.
The specific allegations under investigation have not been publicly released, but documents released by the U.S. Justice Department reportedly show Mountbatten-Windsor forwarding official reports on visits to Hong Kong, Vietnam, and Singapore to Epstein in 2010. One email, dated November 2010, was forwarded to Epstein five minutes after being sent by his special adviser, Amir Patel. Another, sent on Christmas Eve 2010, contained a confidential brief on investment opportunities in Afghanistan.
The whereabouts of Mountbatten-Windsor remain unknown. Neither King Charles nor Buckingham Palace were informed in advance of the arrest, according to reports. Thames Valley Police has not provided a timeline for the investigation.