The founder and former director of Circo del Sol, Guy Laliberté, has announced his intention to try to buy the famous Quebec company that he co-founded in 1984 and that is experiencing serious economic difficulties due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The health crisis caused by Covid-19 has hit the Canadian company especially hard, which has been forced to cancel 44 shows worldwide and lay off 4,679 employees, or 95% of its staff.
The former juggler who became a millionaire unveiled this possible project live during a program broadcast on Radio Canada. “Circo del Sol has given me so much … If I can help, we will be there,” he said during his speech, according to the AFP news agency.
Laliberté, who sold the majority of his shares in 2015 and who was arrested in November last year for marijuana cultivation, has not given further details of his possible offer or his partners, and has only claimed that he was well supported.
We have a good plan. We believe we can bring back the sacred fire, “said the businessman, who added that he wanted to keep the headquarters in Montreal and maintain a management team from Quebec.
Laliberté had indicated on May 13, in an open letter, that he wanted to play a role in the rescue of the circus, which is burdened by an estimated debt of $ 900 million. Several groups, including Quebecor from Québec, have expressed interest in a possible acquisition of the company.
Despite the impossibility of representing the scheduled shows, the Circo del Sol has kept in contact with its public throughout the confinement. The company has made some of its most representative performances available to you free of charge. .