The US President extends the US code of conduct until the end of April and expects the number of victims to rise in the coming weeks. The country’s top virologist fears millions of cases and more than 100,000 deaths.
US President Donald Trump expects the number of deaths in the US corona crisis to peak in two weeks. That is why he is extending the guidelines on social distancing that originally applied until March 30 until April 30, Trump announced on Sunday in the Rose Garden of the White House. The better the guidelines were followed, “the faster this nightmare will end,” Trump said.
Two weeks ago, the government had initially published guidelines for 15 days, which include, among other things, keeping people apart and avoiding the gathering of more than ten people. Trump was optimistic that the worst was over by summer. “We can expect to be on the road to recovery by June 1st.”
The number of corona deaths in the United States increased by 518 within 24 hours. So far, a total of 2,400 people have died after being infected with the novel virus in the USA, as reported by Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore on Sunday. The number of registered infections in the United States has now risen to over 140,000.
More than 100,000 dead feared
Experts in Trump’s government believe that the corona virus will still hit the US hard. The director of the National Institute for Infectious Diseases, Anthony Fauci, is expecting millions of corona infected people. Based on the current situation, there is a possibility that 100,000 to 200,000 people will die as a result of the pandemic, Fauci told CNN.
The respected virologist made it clear, however, that he did not believe in prognoses, since one could easily be wrong and mislead people. “Just look at the data (…) and don’t worry about these worst-case and best-case scenarios,” said Fauci. “We have a serious problem in New York, we have a serious problem in New Orleans and we will develop serious problems in other areas.”
Also on CNN, Democrat Nancy Pelosi accused President Donald Trump of initially denying the Corona crisis killed people. “As the President fiddles, people die and we need to take precautions,” said the House of Representatives chairwoman.
Despite the worsening coronavirus crisis in the United States, the US president had initially decided not to block hotspots such as New York. “Quarantine will not be necessary,” Trump wrote on Twitter. Previously, he had expressed considerations to largely isolate particularly affected parts of the country.
With the not yet ready-to-speak statements, Trump promptly received criticism from the governors of the states concerned. New York state governor Andrew Cuomo made it clear that he had not spoken to Trump about the possibility of quarantine, and expressed doubts about the legality of such a move from Washington. “It would be a declaration of war on the states,” said Cuomo.