The US National Football League (NFL) is also affected by the corona crisis. The annual draft is therefore forced to take place from home by the end of this month.
The draft was originally supposed to be held in Las Vegas, but the organization does not consider it sensible due to the coronavirus outbreak. The policymakers of the clubs now have to express their choices at home between 23 and 25 April by telephone and internet.
NFL clubs take turns choosing new players each year. These are almost all (young) American footballers who have finished their sports careers at university. It is an important way for the clubs to strengthen the selection.
The draft is the NFL’s largest off-season event (September-February). Last year, there were over 600,000 people in Nashville to see which players were chosen, and there were 6.1 million TV viewers on average over three days.
Organization already canceled a big show
The organization previously decided to cancel the big show in Las Vegas because of the corona virus, which meant that there would be no audience and the players would not be called on stage.
NFL boss Roger Goodell then warned the clubs not to publicly criticize the decision to continue the draft. “If you do, it could be grounds for disciplinary action,” he said.
In the United States, too, all major sports competitions are halted because of the COVID-19 virus. The NBA (basketball) and NHL (ice hockey) were in the final stages of the regular season, while the MLB (baseball) was about to begin.
Follow the latest developments around the virus in the sports world in us live blog.
The coronavirus in short
- The coronavirus mainly spreads from person to person via sneezing and cough drops. The chance of becoming infected through surfaces such as door handles is small. This chance decreases if you wash your hands often.
- You can considerably reduce the chance of spreading by keeping at least 1.5 meters away from others.
- An infected person infects two to three others on average. Precautions are necessary to contain this.
- The vast majority of patients have mild (flu-like) complaints.
- Almost all deaths involve the elderly or other vulnerable persons, such as heart, lung or diabetes patients. If everyone complies with the measures, this reduces their risks.
- Read here what precautions you should take.