The French actor legend Gérard Depardieu (72) is again charged in the rape case against him which was dropped in 2019.
It informs sources in the judiciary to the news agency AFP. The accusation was presented to the actor on December 16 last year, as a result of the film star’s investigation being reopened.
An unnamed woman in her 20s accuses Depardieu of assaulting and raping her twice in August 2018. The incident allegedly took place at the 72-year-old’s home in Paris, where the woman was visiting to audition for a film role.
Resumed the case
I 2019 the case was dropped on the basis of lack of evidence, but the woman has subsequently chosen to go to civil action.
– After several investigative steps, we have not been able to characterize the alleged crimes and all charges in it, the public prosecutor in Paris told AFP when the case was dropped in 2019.
The actor’s lawyer stated at the time that Depardieu completely denies that he has been guilty of any kind of attack or rape.
– Gérard Depardieu is shaken. This accusation is the opposite of what he is and what he stands for, said lawyer Hervé Témime to BFMTV.
When the investigation was resumed last year, the actor’s lawyer told AFP that they had not been informed about the reopening.
The 72-year-old is one of France’s most renowned actors, and has appeared in about 180 films since his debut in 1965, including “Green Card”, “The Man in the Iron Mask” and “102”.
He has also played historical figures such as Georges Danton and Christopher Columbus, and literary figures such as Cyrano de Bergerac, Jean Valjean and the Count of Monte Cristo.