The leader of North Korea, Kim Jong Un, called the offers of dialogue from the United States a “front” and accused the administration of President Joe Biden of maintaining hostile policies against them.
The contacts between the two countries started under the mandate of Donald Trump were interrupted in 2019 after the failure in Hanoi (Vietnam) of the second summit between the Republican president and the North Korean leader.
Since its accession to the White House, the Joe Biden government has repeatedly offered the isolated communist regime a meeting anywhere, anytime and without preconditions.
Kim condemned these proposals as “nothing more than a facade to mask his disappointment and hostile acts, and an extension of the hostile policy of previous administrations, ”according to the official Rodong Sinmun newspaper.
With Biden, “the American military threat and hostile policy towards us have not changed at all, they have become more malicious, ”he said during a lengthy speech to the Supreme People’s Assembly, the country’s one-party parliament.
North Korea, equipped with nuclear weapons, has let time pass in recent months, studying the movements of the new US administration while focusing on internal affairs.
The impoverished Asian country self-imposed a lockdown in early 2020 to protect itself from the coronavirus pandemic, further hitting its economy and minimizing its trade with China, its mainstay.
The communist regime seems to have come out of slumber in recent weeks, in which both they and their southern neighbors have shown technological innovations in their weapons.
On Wednesday, Pyongyang claimed that it had successfully tested a hypersonic glide missile, much faster and difficult to intercept by defense systems, and previously tested long-range cruise missiles.
For its part, South Korea is also allocating significant budget items to improve its military capabilities in the face of the threat from its neighbor.
This month, it announced the first successful Submarine Launched Missile (SLBM) test, a technology available in only a handful of countries, and unveiled its third submarine capable of carrying these missiles.
UN Security Council resolutions have banned the nuclear weapons and ballistic missile program promoted by Kim Jong Un in North Korea, a nation subject to numerous international sanctions as a result.
The United States has condemned Pyongyang’s recent launches, but on the same Wednesday reiterated its offer for dialogue through its envoy for North Korea.
“We are firmly committed to finding a diplomatic path to complete the denuclearization of the Korean peninsula (…) That has not changed at all”Sung Kim told reporters.
“We have made several approaches to the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea (the country’s official name, ndlr) and proposed dialogue on a wide spectrum of issues, but we have had no response. We hope to have it soon ”, he added.
Communication lines with Seoul
The United Nations Security Council will meet in emergency on Thursday to analyze the situation in North Korea at the request of the United States, France and the United Kingdom, diplomatic sources told AFP.
Pyongyang shows no signs of wanting to part with its arsenal, which it considers necessary to defend itself against the United States.
“The most fundamental crisis tearing apart the basic principles of international peace and stability is the abuse of power and coercion by the United States and its followers,” Kim said.
The North Korean leader was more restrained with South Korea, whose president Moon Jae-in proposed this month at the United Nations to officially end the war between the two countries (1950-1953), ended with a truce and not a peace treaty.
Kim lamented that Seoul “still follows the United States” and noted that, to end the conflict, “Mutual respect must be guaranteed and unjust views and double standards must be abandoned.”
Still, he expressed his willingness to reestablish communication lines between Seoul and Pyongyang in early October.