Geneva – Iran temporarily closed the Strait of Hormuz, a critical waterway for global oil transport, on Tuesday as negotiations resumed with the United States regarding its nuclear program. The move, framed by Iranian officials as a security precaution during live-fire military drills, coincides with heightened tensions and a significant U.S. Military presence in the Middle East. Approximately 20% of the world’s oil passes through the Strait of Hormuz, making it a strategically vital chokepoint.
The closure, a first for Iran, occurred as diplomats from both nations engaged in indirect talks in Geneva, mediated by Oman. While details of the discussions remain limited, both sides expressed cautious optimism about progress made toward establishing “guiding principles” for a potential agreement. The timing of the Strait’s closure, however, is widely interpreted as a demonstration of Iran’s military capabilities and a signal of its resolve in the negotiations.
Escalating Tensions and Military Posturing
The temporary closure of the Strait of Hormuz adds to a period of escalating tensions between the U.S. And Iran. The U.S. Has deployed two aircraft carriers, the USS Gerald R. Ford and the USS Abraham Lincoln, to the region, citing concerns over Iran’s nuclear ambitions and regional destabilization. Iran maintains its nuclear program is for peaceful purposes, but has enriched uranium beyond levels needed for power generation. It seeks the lifting of crippling economic sanctions in exchange for any concessions regarding its nuclear activities.
According to Sina Azodi, director of the Middle East Studies program at George Washington University, the timing of the closure is no coincidence. “Clearly on the day that they’re negotiating with the Americans I don’t consider it’s a coincidence,” Azodi said. “Iranians for decades have been trying to portray themselves as the ones who call the shots in the Persian Gulf. They shut it down just to make the point that they are the ones who are calling the shots there.”
Optimism Tempered by Red Lines
Despite the provocative nature of the Strait’s closure, officials from both countries offered cautiously optimistic assessments following the talks. U.S. Vice President JD Vance told Fox News that the discussions “went well in some ways,” and that both sides agreed to meet again. However, he also acknowledged that “particularly clear red lines” remained, which Iran was not yet willing to address.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi stated that the two sides had reached an understanding on “guiding principles,” adding, “Different ideas have been presented. These ideas have been seriously discussed. Ultimately we’ve been able to reach a general agreement on some guiding principles.” A U.S. Official indicated that Iran would present detailed proposals within the next two weeks to bridge the remaining gaps.
A History of Threats and Deterrence
Tehran has previously threatened to close the Strait of Hormuz if attacked, a move that would significantly disrupt global oil supplies and likely drive up crude prices. In 2025, approximately 13 million barrels of crude oil per day transited the Strait, representing roughly 31% of global seaborne crude flows, according to market intelligence firm Kpler. This latest closure marks the first publicly announced shutdown of the waterway.
The situation is further complicated by internal pressures within Iran. Reports indicate that protesters are appealing to U.S. President Donald Trump for military intervention to help overthrow the Islamic regime. However, the potential for escalation remains high, with Iranian Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei warning that the U.S. Could face a “slap” from which it cannot recover, stating, “Of course a warship is a dangerous apparatus, but more dangerous than the warship is the weapon that can sink the warship,” according to Iranian state television.
President Trump, on the eve of the talks, expressed confidence that Iran desired a deal, stating, “I don’t think they want the consequences of not making a deal.”
What to Watch Next
The coming weeks will be critical as Iran prepares to present detailed proposals aimed at resolving the impasse over its nuclear program. The success of these negotiations will depend on both sides’ willingness to compromise and address each other’s concerns. The situation remains fluid and carries significant risks, with the potential for miscalculation or escalation. Continued monitoring of both diplomatic efforts and military deployments in the region will be essential.
What are your thoughts on the current situation? Share your comments below and let us know what you think will happen next.