DAYTONA BEACH, FL – The aftermath of a massive 20-car crash during the 68th Daytona 500 has seen both Denny Hamlin and Justin Allgaier acknowledge responsibility for the incident that dramatically altered the race outcome. The wreck, occurring on Lap 124 near the end of Stage 2, involved several top contenders and reshaped the field as drivers battled for position.
Initially, Justin Allgaier took full blame for the collision, but Hamlin conceded a portion of responsibility on Monday during the premiere episode of his “Actions Detrimental” podcast. The incident stemmed from a battle for the lead, with Hamlin attempting an aggressive move to the outside of Allgaier. The resulting contact sent both drivers into the wall, triggering a chain reaction that collected numerous other cars. This Daytona 500 crash ultimately paved the way for Tyler Reddick to win the race after a late-race caution.
Hamlin explained his perspective on the incident, stating that aggressive maneuvers are expected at the end of a stage, particularly when stage points are at stake. “Allgaier took 100 percent of the blame. I’ll take 20 of it,” Hamlin said, as reported by Motorsport.com. “It was an aggressive move, but it’s coming at the end of the stage. He’s gotta grasp I’m gonna be aggressive…I’m gonna take every run I’m gonna receive.”
According to Hamlin, he had already committed to the outside line before the contact with Allgaier. “I made up my mind probably 100 yards or so before I actually went high, I said, ‘I’m going to the outside no matter what,’ because I knew where he had run on the top before that, so I’d knew there’d be enough space,” he explained. He acknowledged that Allgaier may not have had sufficient time to react to his move, contributing to his own 20 percent share of the blame.
Looking back, Hamlin suggested he would have approached the situation differently. “Had I had it to do all over again, I would have stayed on (Allgaier),” he said. He weighed the risk of potentially causing a different type of wreck by checking up, or attempting to go to the bottom lane, ultimately concluding that staying in line might have been the safer option.
The crash involved a significant number of drivers, including Kyle Busch, William Byron, Joey Logano, and Michael McDowell, as detailed in a report by USA Today. Allgaier and Alex Bowman’s cars sustained significant damage, forcing them to withdraw from the race.
Bubba Wallace was awarded the Stage 2 win as a result of the caution period. The race resumed after a 12-lap cleanup, ultimately culminating in Tyler Reddick’s victory following a late-race crash on the final lap.
The incident highlights the inherent risks and aggressive competition that define NASCAR racing, particularly at Daytona International Speedway. The Daytona 500, known for its unpredictable nature, once again delivered a dramatic and impactful moment, leaving drivers and fans alike to analyze the events that unfolded.
As the NASCAR Cup Series moves forward, teams will undoubtedly review the footage and data from the Daytona 500 crash to learn from the incident and refine their strategies for future races. The focus will now shift to the upcoming events and the ongoing battle for championship points.
What are your thoughts on the incident? Share your opinions in the comments below.