VENICE MOSTRA 2021. Dune, Spencer, Power of the Dogs … From September 1 to 11, 2021, international cinema is being honored at the Venice Film Festival, with many eagerly awaited premieres.
[Mis à jour le 31 août 2021 à 14h26] It’s an event that moviegoers will certainly not want to miss. From September 1 to 11, 2021, the Mostra de Venice will enchant the inhabitants of the City of the Doges with not only the arrival of exceptional stars from the four corners of the planet (Virginie Efira, Pedro Almodovar, Ridley Scott …), but also the screening of some of the most expected at the end of the year.
In competition to win the Golden Lion at the Venice Mostra, let us note the presence in the official selection of the latest film by Pedro Almodovar (“Madres Paralelas”), by Jane Campion (“The power of the dog”), by Maggie Gyllenhaal ( “The Lost Daughter”) or Xavier Giannoli (“Lost Illusions”). “Spencer”, a film by Pablo Larrain on Lady Diana, will also be presented at the Venice Film Festival. Out of competition, festival-goers will be able to preview “The Last Duel” by Ridley Scott, “Last Night in Soho” by Edgar Wright or “Dune” by Denis Villeneuve. Below, find all the information about the Venice Film Festival.
The Venice Film Festival takes place every year at the end of the summer. The 2021 edition of the international film festival of this Italian city is scheduled from 1st to 11th September 2021. The winners of this 78th edition will be known on the last day of the festival.
The 2021 official selection for the Venice Film Festival will have nothing to envy the Cannes Film Festival a few months earlier. Among the films in competition, let us note the long-awaited feature films: Jane Campion’s latest film, “The Power of the Dog”, but also “The Lost Daughter” by Maggie Gyllenhaal and “Madres Paralelas” by Pedro Almodovar. “Spencer” by Pablo Larrain will look back on the life of Lady Diana, played by Kirsten Stewart. Let us also note the quotation in competition of the French film “Lost Illusions” by Xavier Giannoli and its five-star cast, but also of the drama “Another world” which brings together Vincent Lindon and Sandrine Kiberlain on the screen. Below, find the complete list of films presented in competition at the Venice Film Festival in 2021:
- “Latin America”, de Damiano and Fabio D’Innocenzo (with Elio Germano)
- “Another world”, by Stéphane Brizé (with Vincent Lindon and Sandrine Kiberlain)
- “The Box”, de Lorenzo Vigas
- “Captain Volkonogov Escaped”, by Natalia Merkoulova and Alexeï Tchoupov (with Youri Borissov and Alexandre Yatsenko)
- “The Card Counter”, de Paul Schrader (avec Oscar Isaac, Tye Sheridan, Willem Dafoe)
- “Official competition”, by Mariano Cohn and Gastón Duprat (with Penelope Cruz, Antonio Banderas)
- “The event”, by Audrey Diwan (with Pio Marmaï, Sandrine Bonnaire, Anna Mouglalis)
- “Freaks Out”, by Gabriele Mainetti (with Claudio Santamaria, Franz Rogowski)
- “The hole”, by Michelangelo Frammartino
- “Lost Illusions”, by Xavier Giannoli (with Benjamin Voisin, Cécile de France, Vincent Lacoste, Xavier Dolan, Gérard Depardieu, Jeanne Balibar)
- “The Lost Daughter”, de Maggie Gyllenhaal (avec Olivia Colman, Dakota Johnson, Peter Sarsgaard, Jessie Buckley, Ed Harris, Paul Mescal, Oliver Jackson-Cohen)
- “Parallel mothers”, by Pedro Almodovar (with Penelope Cruz, Rossy de Palma, Julieta Serrano)
- “La main de Dieu”, by Paolo Sorrentino (with Tony Servillo, Alfonso Perugini)
- “Mona Lisa and the blood moon”, by Ana Lily Amirpour (with Jeon Jong-seo, Kate Hudson)
- “Leave no traces”, by Jan P. Matszynski
- “On the Job 2 : The Missing 8”, d’Erik Matti
- “The Power of the Dog”, by Jane Campion (with Benedict Cumberbatch, Kirsten Dunst, Jesse Plemons)
- “Here I laugh”, de Mario Martone (with Toni Servillo, Maria Nazionale)
- “Reflection”, de Valentyn Vasyanovych
- “Spencer” by Pablo Larrain (with Kristen Stewart, Timothy Spall, Sally Hawkins)
- “Sundown”, by Michel Franco (with Tim Roth, Charlotte Gainsbourg)
Among the films presented out of competition, let us note the screenings of films eagerly awaited for the end of the year 2021: this is the case of “Dune“, from Denis Villeneuve, but also from the next film by Ridley Scott,”The Last Duel“Last Night in Soho” by Edgar Wright will also be screened out of competition at the Venice Film Festival, as will Yvan Attal’s latest film, “Human Things.” Ridley Scott, Roberto Benigni and Jamie Lee Curtis will receive for their part a Golden Lion for the whole of their respective careers.
The Venice Film Festival takes place over ten days. The event kicks off with a first screening at 4:00 p.m. on September 1, 2021, before the 7:00 p.m. screening of the opening film Madres Paralelas that same day. The event closes on September 11, 2021 with the screening from 8:00 p.m. of the various films awarded during the event. Find the full program of the Venice Film Festival on the official festival website.
As is the case for the Cannes Film Festival, the Venice Mostra rewards the favorite films of a jury made up of professionals of the international cinema. The 78th edition, which takes place in 2021, is chaired by the South Korean director Bong Joon-ho, to whom we owe the Palme d’Or and the Oscar for best film 2020 “Parasite”. To help him establish a track record, he will be accompanied by the Italian director Saverio Costanzo (“Hungry Hearts”, “The prodigious friend”), by the Franco-Belgian actress Virginie efira (Benedetta, Adieu les cons), by the British actress Cynthia Erivo (“Harriet”, “The Widows”), Canadian actress Sarah Gadon (“A dangerous Method”, “Cosmopolis”, “Captive”), from the Romanian director Alexander Nanau (“The Collective Affair”) and the Chinese director Chloe Zhao (“Nomadland“, “The Eternals“).
It is possible to attend the Venice Film Festival as a spectator. Note that film professionals, but also the press, can request accreditation to attend screenings free of charge. The public can buy tickets to attend the screenings of certain prices. Prices vary between 7 and 50 euros per screening depending on the rooms and times. It is also possible to take out a “per room” subscription: this can vary from 35 to 1600 euros depending on the schedule, the room or the location in the room. Find all the information concerning the registration and the purchase of tickets for the Venice Film Festival 2021 on the official website of the festival.
The last Venice Mostra festival was held in 2020. This 77th edition suffered the full brunt of the health crisis linked to the coronavirus, offering a particular version of the festival in which barrier gestures and social distancing were in order. “Nomadland” won the Golden Lion, while the Grand Jury Prize went to “Nuevo Orden”. Below, find the full list of winners of the last Venice Film Festival 2020:
- Lion d’Or : “Nomadland” by Chloé Zhao
- Silver Lion / Grand Jury Prize : “New Order” by Michel Franco
- Silver Lion for Best Director : Kiyoshi Kurosawa for “The sacrificed lovers”
- Volpi Cup for Best Female Interpretation : Vanessa Kirby, pour “Pieces of a Woman”
- Coupe Volpi for Best Male Interpretation: Pierfrancesco Favino, pour “Padrenostro”
- Best Screenplay Award: Chaitanya Tamhane, “The Disciple”
- Marcello Mastroianni Prize for the Most Promising Actor: Rouhollah Zamani, “Sun children”
- Special Jury Prize : “Dear Comrades” d’Andreï Kontchalovski