27 Christians Massacred in Nigeria’s Plateau State Attack

Residents in Plateau state, Nigeria, held a solemn funeral procession for 27 Christians massacred in a village attack, despite survivors having previously warned authorities of impending danger, according to local sources and reporting from Christian Daily International–Morning Star News.

The July 25 procession transported 27 caskets via a pay-loader truck from a mortuary at the Jos University Teaching Hospital to their native Bindi, also known as Jebbu, village in Riyom County. The victims were slain during an unprovoked assault by Fulani herdsmen that struck the predominantly Christian village at approximately 11 p.m. on July 15 as residents slept.

### Security Proximity and Warnings

According to rights activist James Nyango, the attacked community is situated less than 200 meters from a Special Task Force military checkpoint in the Riyom Local Government Area.

“The fact that this community noticed and reported the imminent attack to the STF military officers at that military checkpoint makes it more worrisome, suspicious and raises many questions,” Nyango told Christian Daily International–Morning Star News, adding that the government should prioritize the prevention of herdsmen attacks.

Area rights advocate Gideon Manjal asserted that the assault formed part of a herdsmen strategy to displace indigenous Christians from their lands.

“This attack occurred despite the visible presence of security forces in and around the area, including armored military assets,” Manjal said. “The identities and hideouts of these attackers are known to authorities, yet no meaningful action has been taken to dismantle them.”

### Displacement and Farm Impacts

Pam Dachungyang, a senator in the National Assembly from the area, stated in a press statement that the attackers went house to house, targeting the elderly, women, and children.

“The recurring attacks, including previous ones in Jol and Rim villages, point to a deliberate effort to terrorize and displace farming communities which are predominantly Christian communities by armed Fulani herdsmen,” Dachungyang said. “This cycle of daily, unprovoked attacks is an indictment on security agencies. The situation in Bindi (Jebu) is beyond tragic and stands to be condemned by all.”

Dachungyang noted that because the residents’ primary occupation is farming, the ongoing violence threatens both lives and local food security. Berom youth leader Dalyop Solomon reported that the assailants set several houses ablaze, leaving many other Christians wounded alongside the 27 killed.

### Identified Victims

Local resident Chollom Gyang confirmed the transportation of the 27 bodies from the morgue in Jos for the mass burial. Among the 26 identified Christians killed in Bindi village are Sarah Badung Bagit, Dorcas Badung Bagit, Nzen David Musa, Dusu Gyang Jok, Jere Pius Davou, Martha David Sunday, Esther David Sunday, Gorat David Sunday, Martha Solomon, Hudung Musa Dalyop, Hudaing Gyaus Fondong, Ruda Gyang Fondong, Patience Solomon Sunday, Patience Musa Dalyop, Danlami Tongs Davou, Tabitha Yakubu Shok, Magdalane Yakubu Shok, Patience Yakubu Shok, Bitrus Garba Danboyi, Nyou Tanko Ngyok, Monday Sunday Davou, John Tanko Ngyok, Darwang Tanko, Davou Bulus, Pam Dung, and Esther Paul.

Photo of author

Omar El Sayed - World Editor

Omar El Sayed is Archyde’s World Editor, focused on international affairs, diplomacy, conflict, and cross-border political developments. He brings a global newsroom perspective to complex events and helps readers understand how regional stories connect to wider geopolitical shifts.

Sundance Institute Announces 2026 Episodic Intensive Fellows

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.