For the third consecutive year, the Fondation du Patrimoine and the Bern mission are launching a new series of games for monuments in danger. 18 emblematic sites of the metropolitan and overseas regions were unveiled on Tuesday by Stéphane Bern and the Minister of Culture Franck Riester. Churches, lighthouse, tobacco kiln, Guadeloupe housing, etc. The range of monuments is varied and distributed throughout the territory.
All will benefit from financial support from the Heritage Foundation, thanks to new games sold by La Française des jeux. From August 31, a scratch ticket, Illiko Mission heritage, will be sold at 15 euros (those at 3 euros, sold during the last edition, disappear). Of the 15 euros, 1.76 euros will be used to restore the monuments, compared to 1.52 euros for the previous edition.
The FDJ will also organize five Loto draws dedicated to heritage. They will be held on September 9, 12, 14, 16 and 19, 2020, just before the Heritage Days. The minimum bet will be 2.20 euros and the jackpot 2 million euros. For each grid, 0.54 euros will be donated to the Fondation du Patrimoine.
In 2018, almost 22 million euros were raised thanks to the operation. In 2019, the sum reached 25 million. To this was added patronage, mobilized by the Heritage Foundation and by the Bern mission. 39 sites have already been restored and 131 others are being restored.
List of the 18 sites of the 2020 edition
Sainte-Marie de Lagrasse Abbey, in Aude, has had a rich and eventful history. Founded in the 8th century, it spread throughout Occitania until the French Revolution, during which it was sold and then abandoned. For a century and its inscription in the Historic Monuments, it tries from now on to find its splendor. The bell tower is being restored. The works should be completed this year.
Commissioned under Louis XIV and built under Louis XV, the strong of Île aux Moines aimed to dislodge the looters and other smugglers who had taken up residence on the islet. It was built by Siméon Garangeau, disciple of Vauban. The garrison was maintained until 1873, scanning the bay of Perros-Guirec. At the other end of the island, a lighthouse twenty meters high was built on the remains of a previous building destroyed in 1944. Until 2007, it was the last French lighthouse still inhabited by a guardian.
Located in Le Moule on Grande-Terre, in Guadeloupe, Zévallos housing dates from the end of the 19th century, when it was the center of a sugar farm. On the island, the term housing designates a colonial agricultural domain. This impressive building surrounded by exterior galleries, decorated with friezes, protected by elegant iron railings, is said to come from the studio of Gustave Eiffel. To cross the ocean, it would have been sold as a kit. Today it is at the heart of a two hectare park.
Below, the Luzège gorges, winding and steep. Above, a viaduct 92 meters high and 140 meters long, 300 tonnes of steel and stone: the viaduct of the Rochers Noirs. Inaugurated in 1913 by President Raymond Poincaré, the structure was used by the Transcorrézien, a steam tram, until 1959. Almost 200 kilometers of lines made it possible to reach Tulle from Ussel. Prohibited to traffic and then to pedestrians for safety reasons, the viaduct requires work of around 3 million euros.
About ten meters high, a huge roof, thousands of small red tiles. Thirty buildings identical to the Jars pyramid barn still cover the Pays-Fort, in Berry, in the departments of Cher and Loiret. Livestock, straw or fodder were stored there in the 15th and 16th centuries. The origin of this architecture is not yet clear. Some see a kinship with the models of Nordic and Germanic dwellings, which the Visigoths could have transmitted. These barns are, in any case, witnesses to the richness of the French rural heritage.
The Notre-Dame-du-Réal cathedral in Embrun, in the Hautes-Alpes, overlooks the Durance valley, more than 800 meters above sea level. We recognize it from afar by its elegant bell tower and its dark stones. Built between the 12th and 13th centuries, it is an example of the transition from the Romanesque to the Gothic. The Lombard inspiration, coming from the Italian neighbor, is very strong there. Its organs are among the oldest in France. Today, the facade is crumbling in places and, inside, a 15th century tympanum threatens to fade.
One could almost hear the prosecutor’s hammer being struck. Inside theold court of Baugé-en-Anjou, the decorations and the paintings recall the great hours of this courthouse built between 1862 and 1866, a well-preserved example of the judicial constructions of the Second Empire of Napoleon III. A very late neoclassicism.
Neobyzantine in the rainforest. Located near Fort-de-France, in Martinique, the Sacred Heart of Balata constitutes – on a reduced scale – a reproduction of the Montmartre building, even if the interior decoration is much more sober. In 1902, the eruption of Mount Pelé pushed many inhabitants to leave the north of the island. The chapel of Balata is no longer enough. It will take another twenty years before the current religious building is inaugurated.
Its impressive masonry tells three centuries of ancient history. Dating back to the 1st century AD, the Gallo-Roman theater of Lillebonne, in Seine-Maritime, measures a hundred meters in width. Its ruins show that an arena has been transformed over time into a theater. Work continued until the third century, as the adjoining town, Juliobona, gained in prosperity.
Located in the very center of L’Île-Rousse, in Corsica, the Convent of the Daughters of Mary dates back to the middle of the 19th century. He welcomed a religious congregation, which also taught young girls, before being transformed, at the beginning of the following century. The convent becomes a secular school institute and soon hosts a silk-making workshop on the first floor. Very damaged, it now requires extensive rehabilitation.
Inside, the beautiful naive paintings, in shimmering colors, are the work of a convict. Man carried his cross to Guyana at the very end of the 19th century and dedicated six years to painting 600 square meters of fresco inside Saint-Joseph church in Iracoubo, in the north of the region.
Admired by Prosper Mérimée and classified as a historic monument in 1868, it dates back to early Romanesque art. TheSaint-Etienne-de-Mélas church, located in Le Teuil, in Ardèche, is of an austere beauty. Rare fact, it is composed of three naves. The first, octagonal, dates from the 9th century. The following, from the 11th and 12th centuries. The origin of the whole remains mysterious. No doubt it was linked to a women’s monastery in the early Middle Ages, if not to an even older necropolis.
A dozen wooden shutters and half-timbering on 12 meters high. The tobacco dryer from Lipsheim, in the Bas-Rhin, dates from the 19th century and was active until 1958. It bears witness to a culture that was once very present in the region. The building, in a precarious state, oscillates slightly, like a tired ship and must join the Ecomuseum of Haute-Alsace in Ungersheim after being patiently dismantled.
It was one of the largest French military buildings. The fort of Cormeilles, located in the Val d’Oise, near Paris, aligned about sixty guns and a thousand men. It was built in the 1870s and continued to be used for military purposes until the Second World War, before welcoming families of harkis who came from Algeria in the 1970s. From the Army of Shadows Melville to Inglourious Basterds by Tarantino, its vast rooms and galleries serve as sets for many films.
In the 16th century, in eastern France, the principality of Montbéliard became a Lutheran enclave, surrounded by Catholic regions. At the beginning of the next century, the Saint Martin temple, of Renaissance style, is built to respond to the demographic explosion of the city. Oldest building built for the Protestant cult still visible in France, it will however quickly return to Catholicism with, in 1677, the arrival of the troops of Louis XIV. In the past year, restoration work has brought to light paintings and sculptures previously unknown.
When it was delivered in 1894, it was the longest bridge in the world at 152 meters. And probably the most solid because the East River suspension bridge weathered all the tropical cyclones that hit Réunion Island. It was notably used by sugar cane transporters. Today, which has become too vulnerable, the building is no longer accessible to pedestrians. Large-scale work, estimated at several million euros, is necessary.
It is attached to the diocese of La Rochelle. Yet the St. Peter’s Cathedral is located thousands of kilometers away, in the North Atlantic, on the archipelago of Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon. On the remains of a wooden building, this church was completed in 1907. Particularity of the place: wooden stands that overlook the nave. A tradition no doubt brought by Basque sailors, many of whose inhabitants are now descendants.
L’Saint-Pierre church of Dompierre-sur-Authie, in the Somme, was commissioned by one of Joan of Arc’s comrades in arms, André de Rambures. This beautiful example of flamboyant Gothic dates from the beginning of the 16th century. It is recognizable by its domed dome surmounted by a pinnacle. The state of the building is precarious and the choir gradually dissociates from the building.