ECOWAS: Announced transition phase in Niger “unacceptable”

2023-08-21 15:39:52

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) has rejected the announcement of a transition phase to a civilian government by the new military rulers in Niger. “A three-year transition is unacceptable,” ECOWAS chief for security and political affairs Abdel-Fatau Musah said in an interview with Al-Jazeera aired on Monday. “We want constitutional order to be restored as soon as possible.”

The new Nigerien military ruler, Abdourahamane Tiani, declared at the weekend that a transitional phase to democracy would not last longer than three years. “Our goal is not to seize power,” the general said in a televised speech on Saturday. He announced a 30-day “national dialogue” to work out “concrete proposals” that should lay the foundation for “a new constitutional life”.

ECOWAS had previously decided to set up a “standby force” as a last resort to restore democracy in Niger. Over the weekend, the economic community reaffirmed its readiness for military action, even if the diplomatic route remains the preferred option.

In his televised speech, the new ruler Tiani accused ECOWAS of preparing an attack on Niger. “If we are attacked, it won’t be as easy as some people seem to think,” he said. On July 26, Niger’s military overthrew the democratically elected president and took power in the country.

1692635840
#ECOWAS #Announced #transition #phase #Niger #unacceptable

Photo of author

Alexandra Hartman Editor-in-Chief

Editor-in-Chief Prize-winning journalist with over 20 years of international news experience. Alexandra leads the editorial team, ensuring every story meets the highest standards of accuracy and journalistic integrity.

The TweetDeck application becomes paid | The duty

Charles Martinet Retires from Voicing Mario and Luigi: Nintendo’s New Ambassador for the Mushroom Kingdom

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.