BRUSSELS, April 12 (Xinhua) – The European Union (EU) on Monday strongly rejected any attempt to derail diplomatic efforts to revive the Iran nuclear deal now underway in Austria’s capital Vienna.
Peter Stano, spokesperson for the EU’s External Action Service, told an online press conference that the incident reported to Natanz “could have been an act of sabotage”, but insisted on fact that there had been no formal attribution of responsibility.
The Natanz uranium enrichment site near Tehran was hit by a power outage on Sunday as negotiators in Vienna sought to bring the United States back under the 2015 pact to curb nuclear ambitions of Iran, after former US President Donald Trump withdrew in 2018.
“There has been no official attribution of responsibility for this outage, and there are several accusations that we are aware of, but there is a need to clarify what happened and who is behind it. clarify the facts in detail as quickly as possible, ”he said.
Mr. Stano said any attempt to derail the ongoing diplomatic negotiations in Vienna to save the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) must be rejected entirely.
“All questions regarding the nuclear program must be resolved by diplomatic means because there is no other sustainable alternative,” he stressed.
Two meetings of the Joint Committee of the PAGC were held last week in Vienna, chaired by Enrique Mora, Deputy Secretary General and Political Director of the European External Action Service (EEAS), and attended by representatives of China, from France, Germany, Russia, UK and Iran.
Washington sent a delegation led by US Special Envoy on Iran Robert Malley. They did not meet their Iranian counterparts in person, but a shuttle diplomacy approach was taken with intensified assistance from the coordinators.