Florida: Boy (13) dies after parasite infestation, amoeba Naegleria fowleri destroys brain – News abroad

In Florida, a 13-year-old boy died as a result of a parasite infection. As “News4jax” reports, Tanner Lake Wall was infected with the amoeba Naegleria fowleri (popularly “brain-eating amoeba”) shortly before his death on August 2 when he was bathing in a lake in the southeastern US state.

His father told the news portal that a few days after a camping and beach holiday, Tanner complained of a bad headache, nausea, vomiting and a stiff throat. The boy was initially diagnosed with strep infection in Putnam. When his condition worsened, the parents drove their child to the University Hospital in Gainesville.

Father Travis told News4jax: “There they said to us, ‘We’re sorry to tell you your son doesn’t have bacterial meningitis. He is infected with a parasitic amoeba and there is no cure. ‘”

According to “Livescience”, Tanner’s death is the second amoeba-related death this summer. The first case occurred on July 3, the Florida health department announced.

Amoeba thrives in stagnant water

The office warns on his Homepage before Naegleria fowleri and advises NOT to bathe in warm, stagnant water, to keep your nose closed with a clip and not to disturb the lake bed while bathing.

Because the single-cell organism develops best in warm and stagnant freshwater bodies of water or unkempt pools. It enters the human body through the nose and attacks the brain from here. The health department warns: “The amoeba can cause a rare infection of the brain that destroys the tissue and almost always leads to the death of the patient.”

  • Interesting too

▶ ︎ An infestation with Naegleria fowleri is almost always fatal, but the chance of actually catching the parasite is low. Since 1962, only 37 cases have been recorded in Florida, according to the Florida Health Department.

.

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.