More than a week after a powerful storm packing winds near 100 mph tore through Northwest Indiana on August 11, 2026, thousands of Gary residents remain without power.
The Bottom Line
- The Crisis: Over 27,000 Gary customers remain without electricity as of Tuesday morning, following a devastating 100 mph storm that knocked out power for over 301,000 NIPSCO accounts region-wide.
- The Response: Mayor Eddie Melton has demanded accurate data from NIPSCO while local churches, volunteers, and businesses—such as Kiki White’s Legendary Cheesesteaks—step in to distribute food and emergency supplies.
- The Context: Heavily industrial Gary, where Black residents comprise over 75 percent of the population, faces severe systemic infrastructure challenges, prompting local leaders to draw heartbreaking parallels to historic disasters like Hurricane Katrina.
Decoding the Infrastructure Breakdown and NIPSCO’s Timeline
NIPSCO reported that the August 11 storm affected 301,000 of its electric customers—representing over 60 percent of its user base. While the utility stated that service had been restored to 269,000 customers by Tuesday morning, roughly 93,000 remained without power, including just over 27,000 accounts in Gary alone, according to Capital B Gary reporting.
Mayor Eddie Melton has made it clear that the communication protocols from NIPSCO have fallen woefully short of what a community in crisis requires. Speaking on his daily updates, Melton expressed deep frustration over inadequate restoration estimates.
In neighborhoods like Aetna, residents like Jay Spears have taken matters into their own hands. Spears was spotted climbing onto his roof alongside his cousin to clear heavy debris and fallen branches. “I got to do what I got to do,” Spears told Capital B Gary. “Nobody will help me for free, so I have to help myself.”
Grassroots Resilience Amid Historic Disparities
Gary’s ongoing blackout is not occurring in a vacuum. As a city where Black residents represent over 75 percent of the population, generations of heavy industrial concentration have left deep scars of environmental injustice. According to data from the Pulitzer Center, residents face disproportionate exposure to toxic air and heightened health risks, compounded by decades of historical housing discrimination and systemic disinvestment.
When media queries drew comparisons to Hurricane Katrina, Mayor Melton admitted the lived reality on the ground feels uncomfortably similar during the pitch-black night hours. “When you see senior citizens that’s calling, asking for assistance, it definitely feels that way,” Melton said, highlighting children walking in the dark in search of food and basic necessities.
Churches, city workers, police, and General Services crews have worked around the clock. Pastor Valerie Clarke and Connor Taylor of the Gospel Truth Apostolic Ministry organized food distributions outside their church on August 20. Kiki White, owner of the Legendary Cheesesteaks food truck, extended her operating hours, offered deep discounts, and handed out free meals to more than 150 people. “I’m from Gary, and these are my people,” White shared with Capital B Gary. “I have a food truck, I have the ability to provide food, and I felt like this was a moment where I could use what I have to help.”
Navigating Recovery and Financial Documentation
During a high-profile appearance on “The Breakfast Club,” Mayor Melton outlined actionable steps for residents dealing with structural destruction and spoiled goods. He strongly urged constituents to document everything for potential future reimbursement.
Residents are advised to capture comprehensive photos and videos of damaged property, retain every receipt for emergency out-of-pocket purchases, and maintain a precise timeline detailing the exact dates and length of their outage. Furthermore, policyholders must contact their homeowners or renters insurance providers immediately to verify whether spoiled food, temporary lodging, or storm-related property losses fall under their current coverage scope.
The city has collaborated with organizations like the YWCA to offer localized support. Additionally, NIPSCO partnered with Northwest Indiana municipalities—including Gary, Merrillville, Hammond, Portage, La Porte, and Highland—to serve free lunches and dinners from Sunday through Tuesday at designated public distribution sites, while Gov. Mike Braun deployed the Indiana National Guard to bolster recovery operations.
| Metric / Category | Reported Figure / Status | Context & Attribution |
|---|---|---|
| Initial Storm Impact | 301,000 NIPSCO customers (60%+) | Affected by 100 mph winds on August 11, 2026 |
| Gary Unserved Total | Over 27,000 customers | Without power as of Tuesday morning (Capital B Gary) |
| Confirmed Fatalities | 7 individuals | Recorded by local officials due to storm and blackout conditions |
| Restoration Target | Full restoration by Tuesday, Aug. 25 | Announced by NIPSCO utility management |
Looking Past the Darkness Toward Long-Term Progress
“Crime has been at the lowest it’s ever been in 60 years,” Melton noted, underscoring that systemic progress will not be permanently derailed by infrastructure failures. “So that progress is not going to stop. It’s just slowed us down right now until we can get back to normal.”

As state and local agencies push to clear remaining blockages and restore the grid by August 25, the story of Gary this August is defined by the unwavering tenacity of its people.