Given the great demand that already exists and that will continue to grow for electric commercial distribution vehicles, General Motors has decided to fully enter this business by creating the BrightDrop company.
This new GM business aims to offer products, software and services for delivery and logistics companies to move their goods more efficiently, which helps reduce costs, maximize productivity, improve employee safety and cargo safety.
GM estimates that by 2025, the combined market opportunity for package delivery, food delivery, and reverse logistics in the United States will be more than $ 850 billion.
Also, according to the World Economic Forum, demand for urban last-mile delivery driven by e-commerce is expected to grow by nearly 80% by 2030, leading to a 36% increase in delivery vehicles in the 100 major cities in the world.
Together, this increase is expected on demand cause delivery-related carbon emissions to rise by nearly a third.
To help meet this increased demand, BrightDrop is developing an integrated set of solutions to help improve nearly every aspect of first to last mile delivery.
- It is a propulsion-assisted electric forklift developed to easily move goods over short distances, for example, from the delivery vehicle to the customer’s front door.
- Available in early 2021, the EP1 can help reduce package touchpoints, costs, and physical strain on delivery leads.
- It has a capacity to load 90 kilos and 650 liters.
- It is an electric light commercial vehicle specially designed for the delivery of goods and services over long distances. It will combine emission-free driving with a range of advanced safety and convenience features common in consumer electric vehicles.
- Thanks to the Ultium battery system, the EV600 is designed to have an estimated range of up to 400 kilometers on a full charge.
- It has a volume of 17,000 liters and a load capacity of 4.5 tons.
- It also includes front and rear parking assist, automatic emergency braking, forward collision alert, automatic braking, lane keep assist with lane departure warning, IntelliBeam automatic high beams and HD rear view camera.
Software enabled services
BrightDrop offers an integrated, cloud-based software platform, giving customers visibility and access to their products through web and mobile interfaces.
BrightDrop Mobile Asset Management
EP1 connectivity provides customers with real-time features, including location monitoring, battery status, remote commands to lock and unlock, and wireless updates of connected features.
BrightDrop electric vehicle fleet management
EV600 connectivity provides fleet operators with remote access, real-time location, battery and charge management, driver safety training and incident log, remote diagnostics, safety alerts, and predictive maintenance information and wireless updates.
BrightDrop will initially serve customers in the United States and Canada, and will have a customer support team to assist with all aspects of product operation and maintenance.