Iran Warns West Asia War Could Spread if US and Israel Resume Attacks

Iran’s foreign ministry issued a direct warning on Wednesday that any escalation of military strikes by the United States and Israel in West Asia would not be contained within the region, following a fresh threat from former U.S. President Donald Trump to resume attacks unless a negotiated settlement is reached. The statement, delivered by ministry spokesman Nasser Kanani, framed the risk as a deliberate escalation strategy by Washington and Tel Aviv, one that could drag in regional and global powers in an uncontrolled conflict.

Trump’s threat, made during a speech in New Hampshire on Tuesday, marked the first time a former U.S. President had explicitly tied a resumption of military action to a demand for a diplomatic breakthrough. “If they don’t want to make a deal, we’re going to have to do something,” Trump said, referring to Iran and its allies in the region. His remarks came as U.S. And Israeli officials have privately signaled frustration over the lack of progress in indirect negotiations mediated by Oman and Qatar, which have sought to curb Iranian-backed militia activity in Syria and Iraq.

The Iranian warning underscored Tehran’s strategic calculus: that any large-scale military confrontation would force it to respond in ways that could destabilize global energy markets, trigger a broader regional war and potentially involve non-state actors like Hezbollah or Houthis. Kanani’s comments were delivered hours after the U.S. Central Command confirmed that American forces had conducted a series of airstrikes in eastern Syria over the past 48 hours, targeting facilities linked to Iranian-backed groups. The strikes followed a rocket attack on a U.S. Base in Jordan earlier this month, which the Pentagon attributed to Iranian proxies.

Diplomatic sources in the Gulf region, speaking on condition of anonymity, indicated that Saudi Arabia and the UAE have privately urged the U.S. To avoid further unilateral strikes, fearing they could provoke a direct Iranian response. The UAE’s state news agency, WAM, reported that Abu Dhabi had called for “de-escalation” in a statement issued on Wednesday, though it did not explicitly mention Iran. Meanwhile, Russia’s foreign ministry, which has maintained a delicate balancing act between Tehran and Washington, stated that any military action must be “proportionate” and warned against actions that could “destabilize the entire region.”

The Trump administration’s shift in tone—coming just weeks after the Biden White House had signaled a preference for diplomatic restraint—has left European allies scrambling to assess its implications. A senior EU diplomat, who requested anonymity, told reporters that Brussels was “deeply concerned” by the prospect of renewed U.S. Strikes, particularly given the lack of clarity on what a “deal” might entail. The diplomat noted that previous attempts to negotiate limits on Iranian-backed militia activity had stalled over disagreements on the scope of sanctions relief and the withdrawal of foreign forces from Syria.

Israel’s stance remains ambiguous. While Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s government has historically aligned with hardline U.S. Positions on Iran, internal divisions within the coalition—particularly between defense hawks and those favoring restraint—have complicated Tel Aviv’s public posture. A spokesperson for Israel’s foreign ministry declined to comment on Trump’s remarks, but a source close to the government told Haaretz that Jerusalem was “monitoring developments closely” without committing to any immediate response.

The warning from Iran’s foreign ministry came as the country’s Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, reiterated his rejection of direct negotiations with the U.S., calling any such talks “useless” in a speech last week. However, Iranian officials have engaged in backchannel discussions with European mediators, including France and Germany, in recent months, though no breakthrough has been reported. The latest U.S. Strikes in Syria have further strained these indirect channels, with Iranian commanders in the region reportedly ordering increased vigilance against aerial threats.

In Washington, the Biden administration has so far maintained a low profile on the issue, though officials have privately expressed unease over Trump’s intervention. A National Security Council spokesperson stated that the U.S. Was “focused on de-escalation” and that any military action would be “carefully calibrated.” The statement did not address Trump’s direct threat, but analysts suggest the White House is wary of being seen as ceding influence to a former president on a matter of national security.

The immediate focus now rests on whether Trump’s remarks will alter the dynamics of the negotiations. Oman’s foreign ministry, which has played a key role in facilitating talks, has not yet responded to the latest developments, but diplomatic sources suggest that the process remains stalled. The next critical juncture may come in the next 48 hours, as both sides assess whether the threat of renewed strikes will force a compromise—or whether the cycle of retaliation will continue unabated.

Photo of author

Omar El Sayed - World Editor

Backrooms’ Movie Set to Smash Box Office Records with $50M+ Opening Weekend

Ben-Gvir Faces Global Backlash for Taunting Gaza Flotilla Activists

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.