Judge: Recordings show no “shaking” of Begoña Gómez by Vito Quiles

The judge presiding over the case involving Vito Quiles and Begoña Gómez has stated that audio recordings reviewed in the proceedings do not show “zarandeo”—a term often used to describe physical jostling or agitation—or evidence that Quiles encircled Gómez with his arm, according to a report by El Mundo. The remarks, made during a procedural hearing on May 21, 2026, were cited as part of the court’s ongoing evaluation of allegations tied to an incident in late 2025. No further details about the nature of the recordings or the specific context of the alleged interaction were disclosed in the judicial statement.

Quiles, a former regional minister in the Andalusian government, and Gómez, a senior official in the same administration, have both been under investigation since early 2026 for alleged misconduct during a public event. The case has drawn scrutiny for its implications on accountability within Spain’s political institutions. The judge’s comments come amid growing pressure from opposition parties to clarify the circumstances of the alleged incident, though no formal charges have been filed as of yet.

Legal analysts note that the judge’s ruling underscores the challenges of interpreting surveillance footage and audio evidence in politically sensitive cases. “The absence of explicit physical contact in the recordings could significantly impact the prosecution’s ability to prove certain allegations,” said María López, a constitutional law professor at the University of Seville. “However, the court may still consider other forms of evidence, such as witness testimony or contextual factors.”

Neither Quiles nor Gómez has publicly addressed the judge’s statement. Their legal teams have previously declined to comment on the matter, citing the ongoing nature of the investigation. The case remains under review by the Audiencia Nacional, Spain’s national court for high-profile criminal and administrative cases. A spokesperson for the court confirmed that no additional hearings have been scheduled beyond the current procedural phase.

The incident has reignited debates about transparency in public office, particularly in regions where political and administrative lines are closely intertwined. Critics have called for greater access to the recordings in question, while supporters of the officials have emphasized the need for due process. The judge’s remarks, though limited in scope, have been interpreted by some as a procedural hurdle for prosecutors seeking to advance the case.

Photo of author

Omar El Sayed - World Editor

Paul McCartney told to plant replacement trees after neighbor dispute

Judge Dismisses Child Neglect Charges After 6-Year-Old Shoots Teacher

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.