US Special Envoy Jared Kushner stated that Washington will not restrict Israel’s right to defend itself against imminent threats, even as the Trump-backed Board of Peace advances a 15-point plan for Gaza reconstruction tied to the demilitarisation of Hamas.
The remarks follow a nearly four-hour meeting between Kushner and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu. The high-level talks addressed the administration’s proposed framework, which aims to transition governance of the war-torn enclave to a technocratic civilian government while mandating the complete disarmament of Hamas.
### The Demilitarisation Mandate
According to details confirmed by a Board of Peace official, Netanyahu and Kushner reached an agreement stipulating that the Israel Defense Forces will not redeploy from Gaza until the territory is fully demilitarized. The plan requires the removal and decommissioning of every light and heavy weapon, alongside the clearing of subterranean tunnel networks.
“We’re very committed to the fact that we have a plan to rebuild Gaza, but we will not allow Gaza to be rebuilt until the demilitarisation occurs,” Kushner said in an interview with Fox News’ Trey Yingst.
Kushner added that the Board of Peace would not restrict Israel’s military freedom of action if imminent threats arise. “We’re also not going to restrict Israel’s right to defend itself if there are any imminent threats, and so we had to clarify what that means,” he told Yingst.
### Political Friction and Local Commitments
Prior to the Sunday meetings, Netanyahu had expressed opposition to the Board of Peace initiative, harboring concerns that allowing a phased withdrawal could trigger a resurgence of Hamas power following two years of fighting. The conflict was initially triggered by the October 7, 2023, attacks across southern Israel, which resulted in the deaths of about 1,200 people.
Kushner, who previously brokered the 2020 Abraham Accords, met with Hamas leaders prior to his sit-down with Netanyahu. Describing the engagement with Hamas representatives, Kushner noted that they “said all the right things” regarding the 15-point plan, though he emphasized the immense difficulty of trusting a terrorist organization.
“We’re going to give them a chance to perform, but it’s going to have to be based on actions and steps,” Kushner said, characterizing the proposal as a potential win-win for Israel if Hamas voluntarily surrenders its weapons and tunnels.
### Implementation Timeline and Joint Working Groups
To facilitate coordination, Israel and the Board of Peace agreed to immediately establish two joint working groups. The first group will oversee security and the prompt demilitarization of Gaza, while the second will manage basic public needs, including sanitation, clean water, and public health initiatives for the 2 million-person region.
Kushner outlined a preliminary timeline for the initiative, suggesting that initial progress—such as beginning the removal of weapons—could materialize in as little as 30 days. Work to address and fill in the subterranean tunnel network is projected to take place over the subsequent 60 to 90 days, contingent upon cooperation from both parties.
A Board of Peace official confirmed that if Hamas resorts to terror, violence or attempts to rearm, Israel retains the right to act accordingly. Kushner echoed this stance, noting that a failure by Hamas to follow through on its commitments would demonstrate a lack of genuine intent toward peace and would yield broader international and US backing for Israel to “finish the job in the appropriate way.”