Starting next Monday, all travelers arriving at the The United States must present a negative coronavirus test taken 24 hours prior to their flight, regardless of their vaccination status or country of departure, with the aim of stopping a possible spread of the new Omicron variant.
It is one of the measures announced this Thursday by the administration of the US president, Joe Biden, within his winter plan against the coronavirus, which has eight more provisions. This toughens the existing requirements to enter the North American country.
“This frame of stricter time frame for all travelers provides an additional degree of public health protection as scientists continue to evaluate the Omicron variant “, justified the authorities.
Beyond travel protocols, Biden’s winter coronavirus plan includes measures to boost the booster vaccine among all adults, expand the number of inoculations among children, increase access to free tests at home and increase protections in the workplace.
One by one, the measures of the Winter Plan announced by Biden
- Reinforcements in vaccination for all adults.
- Vaccines to protect children and keep schools open.
- Extended Free Home Trials for Americans.
- Stricter public health protocols for international travel.
- Protections in workplaces to keep the economy open.
- Rapid Response Teams to Help Fight Rising Cases.
- Supply of treatment pills to help prevent hospitalizations and deaths (once approved by the FDA).
United States cconfirmed on Wednesday the first case in its territory of the Omicron variant of the coronavirus, detected in California that corresponds to an individual who returned to his country from South Africa on November 22.
In the United States, the country hardest hit by the pandemic with more than 780,000 deaths, almost 20 percent of its population also received the booster dose of available serums.