The Pentagon provided separation notices to Stars and Stripes editor-in-chief Erik Slavin, publisher Max Lederer, and reporter Lara Korte on Friday, August 21, 2026. Slavin stated he was dismissed for insubordination after telling CBS News that hypothetical news censorship for U.S. service members would constitute a red line.
The Bottom Line
- The Trigger: Editor-in-chief Erik Slavin was dismissed for insubordination after defending the newspaper’s right to independent reporting in a national television interview.
- The Blueprint: The actions cap off a months-long modernization push by Pentagon leadership aimed at aligning the publication with “good order and discipline.”
Anatomy of a Pentagon Showdown
When the Department of Defense hands out separation notices with a five-day appeal window, the shockwaves resonate far beyond military circles. That is precisely what happened on Friday, August 21, 2026, when Pentagon officials moved against the leadership of Stars and Stripes, the U.S. military newspaper. Editor-in-chief Erik Slavin, publisher Max Lederer, and reporter Lara Korte were issued separation notices as tensions between journalistic independence and bureaucratic oversight reached a boiling point.
Here is the kicker: the notices arrive during a high-stakes transition for the publication. Lederer, who served as publisher for nearly two decades, had already announced on Tuesday, August 18, 2026, that he planned to retire effective September 30. Lederer stated that his understanding of the mission diverged in fundamental ways from the Pentagon’s plans. Those plans included transitioning all print products to digital formats; Lederer expressed concern that the move would affect the accessibility of Stars and Stripes for some service members.
The Red Line That Cost an Editor His Job
For Slavin, the breaking point was a matter of professional principle. Dismissed for insubordination, Slavin pointed directly to his appearance in a July segment on CBS Sunday Morning. During that interview, he stressed that Stars and Stripes must remain editorially independent to serve troops effectively.
“If we can’t do that, if we were turned into something other than that, if we were public relations? Yeah, that’s the foxhole,” Slavin told CBS.
Following the notice on Friday, Slavin doubled down on that stance. “I stand by the principle that Stars and Stripes must remain editorially independent, as required by law and by the department’s own policies,” he said in a public statement. Alongside him, reporter Lara Korte—who covered the U.S. war against Iran over the preceding six months—also received a separation notice. Korte publicly defended her work, stating that military families and service members deserve the right to a free and independent press.
The Modernization Mandate vs. The First Amendment
The conflict traces back to a broader administrative overhaul initiated earlier in the year. In January 2026, chief Pentagon spokesperson Sean Parnell announced via social media that the Department of Defense was returning Stars and Stripes to its original mission, promising to “refocus its content away from woke distractions that syphon morale.” By March, an internal memo revealed that future content must align with “good order and discipline,” echoing terminology from the Uniform Code of Military Justice. The overhaul effort also barred the newspaper from using some news wire services and running comics and other syndicated features.

This institutional friction claimed another casualty back in April 2026, when the Pentagon terminated the paper’s ombudsman, Jacqueline Smith. Smith subsequently filed a federal lawsuit in June against the Department of Defense, alleging that her firing was retaliatory and violated her First Amendment rights.
| Date / Timeline | Key Official / Staff Member | Action Taken |
|---|---|---|
| January 2026 | Sean Parnell (Chief Pentagon Spokesperson) | Announced modernization plans to refocus Stars and Stripes content. |
| April 2026 | Jacqueline Smith (Ombudsman) | Fired by the Pentagon; later filed a federal lawsuit in June. |
| August 18, 2026 | Max Lederer (Publisher) | Announced planned retirement for Sept. 30 due to fundamental policy divergences. |
| August 21, 2026 | Erik Slavin, Max Lederer, Lara Korte | Issued formal Pentagon separation notices following public media appearances. |
As Navy Capt. With legal challenges mounting and journalists separated over editorial boundaries, the cultural clash between military command and journalistic freedom shows no sign of abating.
- New Heritage Animation Reveals the Secrets of Droitwich Spa’s Crooked Buildings
- Meet The Plug: The Nigerian Music Company Behind Davido and CKay
- Akron Fires Officer Who Killed 15-Year-Old, Settles Lawsuit for $4.75 Million (news-usa.today)
- Pentagon: Over 750 US Service Members Wounded in Iran War (archynewsy.com)