Senegal and Guinea qualified without winning, Malawi must wait

Published on : Modified :

Senegal drew against Malawi (0-0) and took first place in Group B. The Teranga Lions qualified for the round of 16, as did Guinea, beaten by Zimbabwe (2-1) .

Senegal finished in first place in Group B after drawing on Tuesday, January 18, against the modest team of Malawi (0-0). Guinea took second place in the group despite losing to Zimbabwe (2-1). Malawi, third, will have to wait until the end of the group stage to find out if they qualify for the round of 16 of the African Cup of Nations.

Widely favorite on paper, Senegal put their foot on the ball from the first minutes, but this domination proved to be very sterile. The Teranga Lions are struggling to place their game. In the end, it is the Flames who are the most threatening. In the 16th minute, Muyaba created the first real chance of the game with a big shot from 30m which went over the Senegalese goal. His teammate Mhango is also dangerous on a free kick (32nd), but his powerful shot is deflected by the Senegalese wall. The Malawi striker is back on the offensive six minutes later: Mhango manages to sneak into the box, but is clumsy in the finish and is finally stopped by the Senegalese defence.

An unexciting match

Against all odds, Senegal did not offer much and went back to the locker room with a clean score. But after the break, the Lions return with a more conquering face. On a free kick, they are about to open the scoring (48e). The shot is taken with a header by Koulibaly then by Diallo, but the danger is finally averted by a nice tap from Malawi goalkeeper Charles Thomu. Diallo offers himself a new opportunity (54th), still from a free kick, with a new header, but it goes over the opposing goal.

The Senegalese continue to push from a set piece. Five minutes later, Gueye takes a magnificent direct free kick, but the ball is cleared once again by the Malawi goalkeeper, author of an excellent performance. The match then seemed to change in the 74th minute, when the referee whistled a penalty for a foul by Bouna Sarr in the box. Caught up in speed, the Senegalese catches Chirwa. But after checking the VAR, it is finally canceled. And the score remains there.

Related Articles:   President Macky Sall appoints a Prime Minister, a first since 2019

The Teranga Lions finish the group stage undefeated and without conceding a goal, but they will have to show a better face from the 8th if they want to hope to play the title.

Zimbabwe eliminated but winner

The other Group B match pitted Guinea, well placed to qualify, against Zimbabwe, already eliminated. In a meeting at a rhythm cut by the faults and the whistles of the Rwandan Salima Rhadia Mukansanga, the first woman in history to referee a CAN match, the debates were balanced for a long time.

However, Zimbabwe took the lead thanks to a cross from Tigere headed in by captain Knowledge Musona (25′, 1-0). Then double the bet thanks to Mahachi (43rd, 2-0).

Returning from the locker room, the inevitable Naby Keita will allow his teammates to hope thanks to a cannonball fired from outside the area (50th, 2-1). His partners will push to the end to come back, without success.

An unexpected defeat of the national Sily which, finally, does not disturb the classification of group B. Guinea remains second behind Senegal and therefore qualified directly. Zimbabwe, eliminated even before the game, can go home with a clear conscience: the honor of the Warriors is safe with this prestigious victory.

Relive the outcome of group B with our liveblog


Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.