Published on :
The departure of the selection of Senegal for the African Cup of Nations football, initially scheduled for Tuesday evening, was postponed until Wednesday, because of three cases of Covid detected in the workforce. “There are at least three cases: Saliou Ciss, (Mamadou) Loum Ndiaye and Habib Diallo, in addition to other suspected cases,” an official from the Senegalese sports ministry told AFP on Wednesday. The Lions tested positive – who play respectively in Nancy (French L2), Deportivo Alavés (Spanish Liga) and Strasbourg (French L1) – “must be quarantined”, he said, adding that the departure for Cameroon scheduled for Tuesday evening had been postponed to Wednesday. Senegalese Head of State Macky Sall presented the national flag to the players on Tuesday, who are among the favorites in the competition which runs from January 9 to February 6. Senegal, which has never won the CAN, missed the boat in the final in 2000 against Cameroon and in 2019 against Algeria. The Lions, led by Liverpool striker Sadio Mané and Chelsea goalkeeper Edouard Mendy, will face Zimbabwe in Group B on January 10, Guinea on January 14 and Malawi on the 18th.