Nearly 30 years after the drive-by shooting of rap icon Tupac Shakur, jurors in a Las Vegas courtroom heard audio of Duane “Keffe D” Davis telling detectives in 2008 that his nephew Orlando Anderson fired the fatal shots. Davis is on trial for murder, accused of orchestrating the 1996 killing.
The 2008 Police Interview Played to a Las Vegas Jury
Jurors heard Duane “Keffe D” Davis tell detectives in 2008 that his nephew Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson fired the shots that killed Tupac Shakur. Davis, who was in the white Cadillac with Anderson and two other men on September 7, 1996, is accused of orchestrating the killing of the 25-year-old hip-hop superstar in Las Vegas. His nephew had been dead for a decade by the time of the 2008 interview.
As the audio played in court, jurors watched a transcript roll across the screen. The courtroom remained quiet as Davis described pulling up alongside a car carrying Shakur and Death Row Records head Marion “Suge” Knight. According to the recording, Davis intended to retaliate directly before realizing Knight’s vehicle was positioned on the other side.
Instead, Davis stated he tried to pass his gun to Deandre “Big Dre” Smith, who refused it. Anderson, seated in the back seat, then took the weapon and opened fire, according to the audio played to the jury. Prosecutors argue that the interview, alongside Davis’s 2019 memoir Compton Street Legend and various media interviews, forms essential evidence establishing him as the on-site commander of the shooting.
Gang Retaliation and the MGM Grand Brawl
Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told the court that Davis planned the shooting in retaliation for an earlier altercation. Hours before the fatal attack, Shakur and his entourage had been involved in a physical confrontation with Anderson outside a Mike Tyson boxing match at the MGM Grand hotel. Palal showed jurors video footage of the brawl involving Shakur’s entourage and Davis’s nephew.

Prosecutors maintain that Davis spent roughly two hours seeking retribution and obtaining a weapon to confront Shakur and Knight. Davis is charged with a single count of murder using a deadly weapon with the intent to promote, further, or assist a criminal gang. If convicted, the 63-year-old faces the possibility of life imprisonment without parole.
Confidentiality Agreements and Defense Counterclaims
The admissibility of Davis’s past statements has become a central battleground in the courtroom. During the 2008 session, Los Angeles police detectives brought Davis in to discuss the unsolved 1997 killing of Shakur’s archrival, Christopher Wallace, known as the Notorious B.I.G.

However, prosecutors assert that Davis nullified any protections by repeatedly discussing the shooting years later in media interviews and his memoir. Defense attorney Michael Sanft pushed back against the state’s reliance on these accounts, arguing that investigators spent 30 years failing to corroborate Davis’s claims and knew he was full of crap
when he told stories of his involvement.
Sanft argued that the state’s narrative amounts to fiction backed by a sloppy and incomplete police investigation. The defense previously sought to exclude the 2019 memoir from the trial, arguing that Davis and his co-author exaggerated details for personal financial gain, but a judge denied the request.
Eyewitness Testimony and the Final Moments
Knight suffered a graze wound.
While the three other men who authorities say were in the Cadillac with Davis have all died over the decades, the proceedings bring a fresh legal reckoning to one of music history’s most enduring cold cases.