Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins: Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Charged

The murder trial of Duane “Keffe D” Davis began in a Las Vegas courtroom on Monday, August 17, 2026, nearly three decades after the 1996 killing of rap icon Tupac Shakur. Prosecutors allege Davis acted as the on-site commander of the shooting, which stemmed from a confrontation.

The Bottom Line:

  • Duane “Keffe D” Davis is on trial for murder, charged with orchestrating the 1996 drive-by shooting that killed Tupac Shakur.
  • Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal told jurors that Davis planned the retaliation after Shakur’s entourage attacked Davis’s nephew, Orlando Anderson, following a Mike Tyson boxing match.
  • Defense attorney Michael Sanft argued that after 30 years, investigators still lack solid proof, claiming law enforcement previously doubted the credibility of Davis’s own public statements.

The Courtroom Opening Arguments and Prosecution’s Case

On Monday morning, a courtroom drama nearly thirty years in the making finally kicked off. Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal laid out the state’s case to a jury of six men and 10 women, which was seated last week. Palal walked the jury through the events of September 7, 1996, showing a picture of the Mike Tyson fight at the MGM Grand Hotel and video footage of Tupac Shakur’s entourage beating Orlando “Baby Lane” Anderson, who was Davis’s nephew.

GettyImages-2289863256.jpg
Photo: time.com

Here is the kicker. Prosecutors do not claim that Davis pulled the trigger himself. Instead, Palal stated to the court, “Let’s be clear, Duane Davis did not pull the trigger. But he did plan the shooting in retaliation of the beating of his nephew.” To prove this, the prosecution presented audio and video clips of Davis describing his role and his anger toward Shakur. Marc DiGiacomo, holding the role of Chief Deputy District Attorney, pointed out the irony behind why the trial happened at all during the court proceedings, remarking that, “Had he decided to never write the book, he would not, probably, have ever been prosecuted for the crime.”

The Defense Strategy and the 30-Year Evidentiary Gap

On the other side of the aisle, defense attorney Michael Sanft pushed back against the state’s reliance on Davis’s past media tour and 2019 memoir. Sanft is handling the case pro bono. He told the jury that after three decades, investigators still have very little concrete evidence to support a murder conviction.

From Instagram — related to tupac shakur murder trial, Keffe D Davis trial

Addressing the panel members, Sanft posed the question, “At the end of the day you have to ask yourself, is what they are saying truth or fiction?” The defense intends to challenge the credibility of the statements Davis made over the years to various law enforcement agencies, including the FBI. According to the defense, past investigators initially did not follow up on Davis’s claims because they simply did not find them credible.

Inside the 1996 Timeline and Key Players

The trial brings back into focus one of the most heavily scrutinized nights in music history. On September 7, 1996, Shakur was traveling just off the Las Vegas strip in a vehicle with Death Row Records founder Marion “Suge” Knight, heading to an afterparty. A Cadillac pulled up alongside them, and eight shots were fired into the vehicle.

Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins: Duane 'Keffe D' Davis Charged
Photo: theguardian.com

Shakur was hospitalized and died days later. For decades, the case spawned endless conspiracy theories, books, and documentaries. But the narrative shifted when Davis, the last surviving passenger in that Cadillac, began speaking publicly and penned a memoir. In his writings, Davis described the moments leading up to the gunfire, noting how the situation escalated rapidly after the confrontation at the MGM Grand.

LIVE: Tupac Shakur Murder Trial Begins | Opening Statements in Duane ‘Keffe D’ Davis Case
Trial Detail Prosecution Position Defense Position
Charges Murder for alleged role as on-site commander. Not guilty; argues lack of physical evidence.
Core Evidence 2019 memoir, audio/video statements, Tyson fight footage. Past statements to law enforcement were deemed non-credible by early investigators.
Key Counsel Chief Deputy District Attorney Binu Palal and Marc DiGiacomo. Michael Sanft (pro bono counsel).

Other notable figures from the era have spoken out as the proceedings began. Marion “Suge” Knight, who is currently serving a 28-year prison sentence in California for voluntary manslaughter following a 2015 incident, was included on a partial witness list. However, Knight stated in an interview that he would not participate, warning that his involvement would hurt whoever brought him there.

As the trial is expected to last about a month, the courtroom will continue to examine the boundary between sensationalized public confessions and hard legal proof. What do you think about the reliance on memoir confessions in cold case prosecutions? Drop your thoughts in the comments below.

Photo of author

Marina Collins - Entertainment Editor

Senior Editor, Entertainment Marina is a celebrated pop culture columnist and recipient of multiple media awards. She curates engaging stories about film, music, television, and celebrity news, always with a fresh and authoritative voice.

Koenigsegg Reveals the 1600-HP CCGT1 Inspired by Its Unraced GT1 Racer

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.