The Pentagon announced on Saturday that “two important targets” of the Islamic State (IS) group, “organizers” and “operators”, had been killed and one injured in a United States drone strike in Afghanistan, without revealing their details. names.
“There are no civilian casualties to our knowledge,” said US General Hank Taylor.
“I can confirm, now that we have received more information, that two important ISIS targets were killed and one injured” in the strike launched on Saturday from outside Afghanistan, he said. .
Pentagon spokesman John Kirby declined to explain whether they were directly involved in Thursday’s bombing near Kabul airport, which killed more than 100 people including 13 US soldiers.
This attack was claimed by ISIS in Khorasan (EI-K).
“These are IS-K organizers and operators, that is enough reason,” the spokesperson replied at a press conference.
The strike was carried out during “one mission,” Kirby said.
No one is saying that because “we got them, we don’t have to worry about ISIS anymore,” the spokesperson stressed, saying that the US military remained “focused” on this ” threat still active ”.
“The fact that these two individuals are no longer on the surface of the Earth is a good thing,” he continued.
Evacuation operations from Afghanistan continue.
“In fact, there are around 1,400 people at Kabul airport who have been screened and checked in for flights today,” General Taylor said.
In total, around 111,900 people have been evacuated since August 14, the day before the Taliban seizure of power in Kabul, according to the latest figures from the US government.