Global Health Security Initiative (GHSA) Ministerial Meeting, Opening Ceremony (Day 1) followed by Leading Group Meeting (Day 2)
– Day 2 of GHSA, leading group meeting and mock drill in preparation for new infectious diseases, Day 1 of GHSA, opening ceremony and discussion of health security agenda at 6 expert forums –
– Main Content –
□ 2nd day of the 7th Ministerial Meeting of the Global Health Security Initiative (GHSA)
○ Leading group meeting, mock training to prepare for new infectious diseases, 3 expert forums
□ Results of the first day of the 7th Ministerial Meeting of the Global Health Security Initiative (GHSA)
○ Opening ceremony and six field expert forums
○ Discuss ways to promote cooperation in the health field through bilateral meetings with the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the US Department of Health and the African CDC
□ The Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Chairman: Kyung-Ran Baek) announced that on the second day of the 7th Global Health Security Forum (GHSA) ministerial meeting, a leading group meeting, mock training in preparation for new infectious diseases, and expert forums in three fields would be held.
○ The Steering group meeting is a meeting body that serves as the executive board of the GHSA.
– The 2022 Leading Group meeting will be chaired by Italy, with Korea, the United States, and Indonesia participating as permanent members.
– The Netherlands, World Bank, Finland, and Australia are non-permanent member countries, and the World Bank, World Health Organization, World Food Organization, and World Animal Health Organization participate as permanent advisors.
□ Mock training in preparation for a new infectious disease is conducted as an on-the-ground training to review the direction of response to a hypothetical outbreak of an infectious disease as a member of the country concerned or the international community.
○ It is structured in the form of questions and answers and discussions about possible scenarios, and about 120 people from 29 member countries, advisory groups, and international organizations are expected to participate.
○ For your reference, at the 2nd ministerial meeting held in Korea in 2015, a joint biohazard exercise was conducted.
□ In addition, following the 6 areas on the 1st day, on the 2nd day, an expert forum will be held in 3 areas related to the action plan, including national implementation promotion, monitoring and evaluation, and the Financial Intermediary Fund (FIF).
□ [1일차 결과] On the first day, November 28 (Mon), the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention held a bilateral meeting with the US Department of Health and the African Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) to discuss ways to promote cooperation in health security.
○ KCDC Director Baek Kyung-ran held a bilateral meeting with Vice Minister of Health Andrea Palm of the US Department of Health, and discussed bilateral cooperation within the GHSA system, including the establishment of a GHS coordinating office in Seoul.
– In addition, Commissioner Baek Gyeong-ran evaluated that the MERS quarantine experience in 2015 was helpful in the initial response to COVID-19, and announced that he would actively share this experience with the international community.
– The United States positively evaluated Korea’s leadership in the field of global health security, such as actively participating in the Legislative Preparation Action Plan, holding a ministerial meeting in 2022, and establishing a GHS coordinating office.
– The two countries also evaluated the efforts* to establish a cooperative relationship between the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) and the National Institute of Infectious Diseases of Korea, and agreed to actively promote joint R&D in the field of vaccines and treatments in the future.
* 2022.4.26. Exchanging Letters of Intent (LOI)
○ Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) director Baek Gyeong-ran had a bilateral meeting with Ahmed Ouma, Acting Director of the Africa CDC, and positively discussed the request for information on monkeypox vaccine and diagnostic reagents requested by the African side. agreed to discuss.
– In addition, the two sides agreed to share their commitment to human resources exchange and joint research between institutions, and to continue discussions.
– Acting Director Ouma expresses his gratitude for the above cooperation, and hopes to continue cooperation through discussions among working-level officials, at the 2nd Conference on Public Health in Africa, which will be held in Rwanda in December. CPHIA) invited the Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
□ [향후 일정] On November 30 (Wednesday), the last day of the event, the ministerial meeting will formalize the extension of the 3rd term of GHSA, announce the New Seoul Declaration presenting future operational directions, and hold a joint press conference among the five countries.
<붙임> 1. Overview of the Global Health Security Initiative (GHSA)
2. Global Health Security Initiative (GHSA) detailed schedule
3. Joint briefing information