The number of people injured during a shooting in the New York subway rises to 16: ten of them were shot | International

The number of injured in a shooting on Tuesday in the New York subway rose to 16, while police search for the suspect who fled. Ten of the victims would have been shot, and the other six were injured in other ways during the chaotic incident, the spokeswoman for the New York Fire Department told the local press.

The shooting recorded this Tuesday in the New York subway is not being investigated as a possible act of terrorism, as announced by the city’s police commissioner, Keechant Sewell. In addition, she noted that right now the life of none of the 16 injured is in danger, a balance that was previously set at 13.

Five of the injured would be in critical condition, but they remain stable according to emergency services, which also confirmed to CNN that a pistol was recovered at the scene.

The New York Police said they are inspecting “all stations and trains” for the shooting, while searching for the person responsible and witnesses offer information to local media about the chaotic moment of the attack.

In a message on the social network Twitter, the Police Transit division denied that there are paralyzed trains in tunnels and said that it is carrying out inspections as part of the investigation into the “incident” that occurred at the 36th Street station in Brooklyn.

The subway authority, the MTA, indicated that service was suspended on three subway lines (D, N and R) in Brooklyn and in some points in Manhattan, so trains on those lines and others are experiencing delays.

The suspect was described as a black male wearing an orange construction vest and gas mask.

A witness, Yav Montano, told CNN that the shooting, which initially “sounded like fireworks,” originated in the car he was traveling in this morning during rush hour to work with 40 to 50 other people.

On social media, some recordings show injured and blood-covered people being treated on the 36th Street platform and inside a train car, while others reveal moments of chaos allegedly in the aftermath of the attack, with passengers moving through smoke.

In the surrounding area, located in the neighborhood of Sunset Park (Brooklyn), the streets were closed to traffic, nearby schools were confined and numerous ambulances and police units are concentrated, including trucks from the specialized bomb squad.

However, the Police indicated that they have not detected explosive devices, despite the first rumors about unexploded devices.

The White House said this morning that US President Joe Biden is being briefed on the latest developments and is in contact with New York Mayor Eric Adams and local Police Chief Keechant Sewell to assist as needed. .

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.