The cultural community breathed a sigh of relief today as the Legault government unveiled a $ 400 million plan.
• Read also: The performance halls open before June 24?
The artistic director and principal conductor of the Metropolitan Orchestra, Yannick Nézet-Séguin, did not hide his joy during his appearance on the Julie Marcoux show.
“This is a very encouraging announcement for the community. It has been very worrying so far for the artists, for the craftsmen of the performing arts and of culture in general. It’s obvious that I didn’t see myself being able to play with members of the Metropolitan Orchestra this summer. Now, it is encouraging to see that we may be able to present the projects we had in case, “he said.
If nothing is resolved with regard to theaters, the announcement of the day opens the door to certain possibilities for the coming months.
“If you think of summer, there are a lot of outdoor shows. So maybe there is a way to have places where you can control the number of people and the distance, “he adds.
As for theaters, the cultural community is still waiting for a more detailed plan. Yannick Nézet-Séguin says that it is possible to respect the rules of distancing, but cultural organizations will need financial support to compensate for the loss of income. In the meantime, the members of the Metropolitan Orchestra have been playing their instrument each on their own since the start of the pandemic.
Watch the entire Yannick Nézet-Séguin interview with Julie Marcoux above.