At least 100 people died in Iraq and 150 others were injured overnight from Tuesday to Wednesday in a fire during a wedding in a village hall in Hamdaniyah, a small town in the north of the country, according to health authorities.
Residents were also gathered in front of the open doors of a refrigerated truck carrying several black body bags, according to the photographer.
Health authorities in Nineveh, the province where Hamdaniyah is located, “have recorded 100 dead and more than 150 injured in the fire in a wedding hall in Hamdaniyah,” announced the official Iraqi news agency INA, referring to a “ preliminary assessment”.
In a press release, Civil Defense reported the presence of prefabricated panels that were “highly flammable and contravene safety standards” in the party room where the tragedy took place.
“The fire caused parts of the ceiling to fall, due to the use of highly flammable and inexpensive construction materials,” according to the same source.
“Preliminary information indicates that fireworks were used during a wedding, which started a fire in the venue,” the statement added.
In Iraq, safety standards are poorly respected, whether in the construction or transport sector. The country, with its infrastructure in disrepair after decades of conflict, is regularly the scene of fires or fatal domestic accidents.
#dead #fire #Iraq #wedding