Amid an ongoing Iranian campaign to control and close vital shipping lanes, President Donald Trump announced plans on Friday, August 14, 2026, to declare the Strait of Hormuz a territory of the United States. Speaking in New York, Trump framed the prospective move as part of ongoing strategic efforts following U.S. military strikes against Iran earlier this year.
Here is why that matters right now: the narrow waterway carries roughly a fifth of the world’s oil. With maritime traffic severely disrupted, the status of the strait has transformed into a key sticking point in U.S.-Iran peace negotiations as the November midterm elections approach.
Geopolitical Posturing Meets Operational Realities
Trump’s declaration at the Nassau County Policy Academy in Garden City caught international observers off guard. “After we finish defeating Iran, which is being very badly defeated, pretty soon I’ll be declaring the Hormuz Strait a territory of the United States,” Trump told the crowd. He added that the U.S. maintains a naval blockade, asserting that “no ships get through unless we want them to.”
Al Jazeera reporter Kimberly Halkett noted that even the U.S. president delivered the line with a chuckle, signaling that the proposal is viewed largely through a political lens rather than an immediate administrative annexation plan. Meanwhile, Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi rejected the remarks outright. “The Strait of Hormuz has been Iranian, is Iranian, and will remain Iranian; this strait will only be closed and opened under Iran’s command,” Gharibabadi stated, vowing that Iran will continue to enforce the blockade.
But there is a catch regarding actual naval placement. U.S. Navy surface warships do not currently operate inside the Strait of Hormuz itself. While the Navy maintains a successful blockade of Iranian traffic in the Gulf of Oman just outside the choke point, no publicized U.S. Navy surface transits have occurred through the strait in four months. Furthermore, top service leaders have described the lack of access to Bahrain’s storehouses as an obstacle for resupply operations.
Energy Markets Adapt to Subsurface and Overland Flows
Despite the high-stakes confrontation and ongoing drone strikes on regional shipping—such as a reported 19th strike by Iranian forces on a vessel belonging to UAE state oil company Adnoc—global energy markets have not spiraled into panic. Crude prices remain well below $100 per barrel, defying early predictions of catastrophic supply shocks.
U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright estimates that volume continues to flow out of the strait at a reduced rate of roughly 9 million barrels per day, while independent analysts place the volume closer to 4 to 5 million barrels daily. Bloomberg’s Javier Blas points out that hidden logistics are keeping the market afloat. Pipeline volumes moving crude to Fujairah and Yanbu have surged significantly, and Adnoc’s trans-Hormuz shuttle fleet is quietly moving more crude than previously believed, helping bypass the bottleneck.
At the same time, President Trump urged American consumers to tolerate temporary financial strain. Acknowledging that the national average gas price stands at more than $4 per gallon in the US, Trump defended his administration’s posture. “For you to pay a tiny little bit more for your gasoline, just remember you’re doing it so that a very evil country cannot have… the number one state sponsor of terror in the world… a nuclear weapon,” he told supporters.
| Metric | Official / Estimated Figure | Source / Context |
|---|---|---|
| Global Oil Volume Share | Roughly a fifth of world oil | Daily Mail |
| Current Outflow Estimate | 4 to 9 million barrels per day | U.S. Energy Secretary Chris Wright / Independent Analysts |
| U.S. National Gas Price Average | More than $4 per gallon | Daily Mail |
| Direct U.S. Surface Presence in Strait | Zero publicized transits in 4 months | The Maritime Executive |
The Midterm Pressure Point and High-Risk Calculations
Behind the posturing lies a ticking domestic political clock. With U.S. midterm elections less than three months away, foreign policy experts warn that Tehran is actively calibrating its military and maritime strategy to test Washington’s resolve.
Former U.S. diplomat Jonathan Wachtel noted that Iranian leaders carefully study both American military capabilities and political calendars. Two Iranian sources familiar with Tehran’s internal planning confirmed to the Daily Mail that the upcoming midterms represent a key pressure point that the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps will hope to exploit. Retired General Jack Keane echoed these concerns, stating that Iran is gambling on the assumption that the president will be unwilling to restart major military action ahead of November.

This dynamic creates a volatile environment where miscalculation carries steep costs. As diplomatic channels remain muted following the collapse of a ceasefire deal, both Washington and Tehran appear locked in a war of attrition. Whether this standoff remains confined to economic endurance and localized skirmishes will depend heavily on how both capitals navigate the political imperatives of the autumn season.
What are your thoughts on how international markets are absorbing these prolonged maritime disruptions? Share your perspective in the comments below.