London — Former Prince Andrew, now known as Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, was arrested on Thursday, February 19, 2026, for suspected misconduct in public office, following revelations in the Jeffrey Epstein files. Notably, this arrest coincided with his 66th birthday and came about two weeks after an anti-royal organization urged police to investigate documents suggesting that Andrew shared confidential government information with Epstein while serving as a British trade envoy.
The Thames Valley Police confirmed that they were assessing claims against Mountbatten-Windsor that emerged from the latest release of Epstein files by the U.S. Justice Department. In a statement, the police said, “as part of the investigation, we have today arrested a man in his sixties from Norfolk on suspicion of misconduct in public office and are carrying out searches at addresses in Berkshire and Norfolk.”
Shortly after 8 a.m. Local time, six unmarked police vehicles arrived at Wood Farm, Andrew’s residence located on King Charles’ Sandringham estate in Norfolk, eastern England. Reports indicated that police were also seen at Royal Lodge, Mountbatten-Windsor’s former residence on the royal family’s Windsor estate near London. Later in the day, police announced that the man had been “released under investigation,” allowing him to head without restrictions while the investigation continues. The searches in Norfolk had also concluded.
Potential Legal Consequences
If Andrew is charged with misconduct in public office, the offense carries a maximum possible sentence of life in prison in Britain.
Reactions from the Royal Family
King Charles III expressed his concern regarding his brother’s situation, stating, “What now follows is the full, fair and proper process by which this issue is investigated in the appropriate manner and by the appropriate authorities. In this, as I have said before, they have our full and wholehearted support and co-operation. Let me state clearly: the law must accept its course.”
In an interview earlier, British Prime Minister Keir Starmer emphasized that “nobody is above the law,” reinforcing the principle that all individuals, regardless of status, are equal under the law. Buckingham Palace has previously indicated that the royal family would cooperate with any police inquiries regarding Mountbatten-Windsor.
Background on the Epstein Files
Mountbatten-Windsor’s ties to Epstein have been scrutinized for years, particularly following allegations made by Virginia Giuffre, who accused him of being involved in her trafficking when she was underage. Although Andrew has denied these allegations, he reached a settlement with Giuffre in 2022, reportedly paying around $16 million. The family of Giuffre expressed relief at Andrew’s arrest, stating that it is a significant step toward accountability.
In recent developments, emails from the released Epstein files suggest that Andrew shared confidential reports related to his trade envoy activities with Epstein. One email thread reveals that after a trip to Asia in 2010, he forwarded reports to Epstein, seeking his input on potential investment opportunities.
What’s Next?
As the investigation progresses, it will be crucial to monitor how the legal proceedings develop and whether charges will be formally filed against Mountbatten-Windsor. The implications of this case could extend beyond personal ramifications for Andrew, potentially impacting public perception of the royal family and their accountability.
As this story unfolds, readers are encouraged to share their thoughts on social media regarding the implications of royal accountability and the legal system’s handling of high-profile figures. Your comments help foster an crucial dialogue around these issues.