U.S. Warns Iran’s Hormuz ‘Toll System’ Threatens Nuclear Deal Progress

U.S. Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Thursday explicitly rejected Iran’s proposal to establish a “tolling system” in the Strait of Hormuz, calling the plan “not acceptable” and tempering cautious optimism over potential diplomatic progress toward de-escalating tensions in the region. The comments came as indirect negotiations between Washington and Tehran, mediated by Oman, remain stalled over competing demands on security guarantees, sanctions relief, and regional influence.

The Iranian initiative, first outlined in a letter to the United Nations Security Council last month, would require commercial vessels passing through the Strait—a chokepoint through which roughly 20% of the world’s oil supply transits—to pay fees in exchange for safe passage. While Iran has framed the proposal as a neutral revenue-generating measure, U.S. Officials and regional allies interpret it as a thinly veiled attempt to assert control over global energy flows and undermine the freedom of navigation principles enshrined in international law.

From Instagram — related to Strait of Hormuz, State Department

Blinken’s rejection of the tolling system came during a press briefing in which he acknowledged that “there are still significant differences” between the two sides, despite what he described as “some progress” in earlier rounds of talks. “We are not at a point where we can say we are close to a deal,” he said, adding that the U.S. Remains committed to a diplomatic path but would not tolerate measures that threaten maritime security. The State Department did not provide further details on whether the tolling proposal was formally discussed in the latest round of negotiations, which took place in Muscat last week.

The Iranian Foreign Ministry has not publicly responded to Blinken’s remarks, but a spokesman for the ministry, Nasser Kanaani, reiterated Tehran’s position in a statement released Friday, insisting that the tolling system was a “legitimate” response to what Iran characterizes as “unjust sanctions” and “illegal blockades.” Kanaani’s statement did not mention the Strait of Hormuz by name but referenced Iran’s right to “defend its economic interests” in international waters, a phrase that has been used in past Iranian communications to justify actions that have raised concerns in Washington.

Analysts and former U.S. Officials familiar with the negotiations say the tolling proposal is likely a test of Western resolve, designed to probe how far the Biden administration is willing to go to avoid a direct confrontation. “This isn’t just about money—it’s about signaling who controls the Strait,” said one former State Department official who worked on Gulf security issues. “Iran knows the U.S. Has been reluctant to use military force, and they’re trying to see how much they can push without triggering a response.” The official spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

Rejecting Iran's Efforts to Establish a Tolling System in the Straits of Hormuz

Behind the scenes, the U.S. Has been coordinating closely with its Gulf allies, including Saudi Arabia and the UAE, to assess the feasibility of a military response should Iran move forward with the tolling system. While no concrete plans have been announced, U.S. Central Command has reportedly increased patrols in the region, including deploying additional naval assets to the Arabian Gulf. The Pentagon declined to comment on specific deployments but confirmed in a statement that “the U.S. Remains vigilant in protecting freedom of navigation and the security of global commerce.”

Complicating the diplomatic calculus is the looming expiration of the temporary sanctions waivers granted to Iran under the 2015 nuclear deal, known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA). The waivers, which allow limited trade in petrochemicals and other goods, are set to expire in early June unless renewed by the Biden administration. Iranian officials have warned that any further delay or rejection of their economic demands—including the tolling proposal—could lead to a withdrawal from the nuclear negotiations entirely, raising the prospect of a return to pre-2018 tensions.

Strait of Hormuz

The next round of talks, scheduled for late June in Oman, is now seen as a critical juncture. Sources close to the negotiations suggest that the U.S. May propose a phased approach to address Iran’s economic concerns, including limited sanctions relief tied to verifiable nuclear rollbacks. However, the tolling system remains a sticking point, with U.S. Officials insisting that any agreement must explicitly reject Iran’s attempt to monetize or restrict access to the Strait. “We are not negotiating over the right of other nations to use international waterways,” a senior State Department official said. “That is non-negotiable.”

For now, the diplomatic process hangs in the balance. While both sides have expressed a willingness to avoid escalation, the absence of a clear breakthrough on the tolling issue—and the broader question of how to balance Iran’s demands with U.S. Security priorities—leaves the door open for further missteps. The next few weeks will determine whether the talks can recover from this setback or whether the Strait of Hormuz becomes the next flashpoint in a region already on edge.

Photo of author

Omar El Sayed - World Editor

Why Kevin Warsh May Resist Trump’s Interest Rate Cut Demands

Israel Faces Backlash Over Treatment of Gaza Flotilla Activists

Leave a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.