British police said Tuesday they had arrested a 20-year-old man after he throw an egg in the direction of the king Charles III while visiting the town of Luton, north London.
The man was “arrested for questioning” for assault, Bedfordshire police told the agency. AFP.
The British monarch, 74, was temporarily removed from the crowd that he was waiting to greet him in St George’s Square in Luton for his security services, although he continued shortly after shaking hands and talking with citizens, according to local media reports.
Charles III had traveled to Luton to meet with city officials and local charities and to visit a new Sikh temple.
This Tuesday was not the first episode of the monarch with a protest that implies eggs towards his figure.
In early November, a 23-year-old had already been arrested in York, in the north of England, after throwing several eggs in the direction of the new monarchwithout reaching it, while shaking hands with his admirers in the center of the city with his wife Camila.
“This country was built on the blood of slaves”, he would have shouted before being stopped by several policemen, at a time when the country is increasingly confronting its slave-owning and colonialist past.
That student, who defined himself as a climate activist, was released a few hours after the incident on the condition that he stay at least 500 meters away from the head of state.
Documentary or declaration of war?
Meanwhile, the British monarchy awaits with apprehension and ennui the premiere on Thursday of a series about Harry and Meghan, whose first excerpts already revived quarrels between the Dukes of Sussex and the rest of the royal family.
“Nobody knows the whole story. We know the whole story”intones the prince coldly in a trailer released by Netflix, in which he announces the premiere of the first part of the documentary, simply titled “Harry & Meghan”.
Three months after the death of Elizabeth II, the series threatens to shed a stark light on the divisions within the royal family, which the couple left in 2020 partly alleging harassment by the British tabloid press.
The wedding in 2018 between the youngest son of the current King Carlos III and a mestizo American actress was then seen as a sbreath of fresh air for an aging monarchy.
But then “everything changed”, describes the couple in the clip, who denounces a “hierarchy in the family” and “a war against Meghan”.
Enrique can also be heard denouncing the “leaks” and lamenting “the pain and suffering of women who marry this institution”about images of his mother, Diana, killed in a car accident in 1997 while being chased by the paparazzi. “I didn’t want history to repeat itself” affirm.
In Buckingham Palace they are “jaded” of Enrique and Meghan
Contacted by the AFP, Buckingham Palace had no comment. but sources from the royal house quoted by the Daily Mail newspaper said this weekend that Carlos III and the queen consort Camila are already “a little jaded” from constant attacks.
Others warn that the revelations could “be worse than the royals expect.” “It’s going to be explosive”a Netflix source told The Mirror newspaper.
Settled in California, Enrique and Meghan already gave a shocking interview on American television last year, in which they accused an unnamed member of the royal family of worrying about the skin color their future children would have.
“We are not a racist family at all,” Guillermo had to defend.
Since then, the rupture between the two brothers, who together with their wives had been known in their day as the “fantastic four”, was consummated.
After Elizabeth II’s death in September, the four of them made an effort and paid their respects together in public at Windsor… but without speaking to each other.
Netflix already released a first promotional clip last week, coinciding with William and Catherine’s first trip to the United States as Princes of Wales, which was supposed to give the British crown a youthful and glamorous glow on the other side of the Atlantic.
Harry and Meghan’s stylish black-and-white photo montage coincided with a racist controversy starring a godmother of Guillermowhat had to resign as bridesmaid after making offensive comments to a black guest at Buckingham Palace.
“Sabotage”, “Declaration of war”, “Enrique, why do you hate your family so much?”later headlined the tabloids, who have always preferred Guillermo and Catalina, considered the perfect couple with an impeccable sense of duty, compared to Enrique and Meghan, whom they compare to the “Kardashians” for making money by airing their personal lives to the four winds.
Since they left the royal family, the Duke and Duchess of Sussex have signed lucrative contracts -estimated at more than 100 million dollars- with Netflix and Spotify. Enrique will also publish his memoirs in January in a book titled “Spare” (alternate).
Denouncing the couple’s “obsessive self-pity” and “blatant contempt” for the royal family, The Sun newspaper said they should be stripped of all their titles.
The British don’t have much affection for them either.. They are the least popular members of the royal family after Prince Andrew – accused of sexual assault – while William and Catherine have 81% and 75% favorable opinions respectively, according to a recent YouGov survey.